PDA

View Full Version : Schematic vs Real (or approved)

nicholas_baum
2008-04-25, 04:25 PM
Just curious how others are handling the ability to track what is schematic vs. what is real in a model. This is especially important for critical items such as structural elements.

I have created a filter called "schematic elements" and assigned an object types to that group. Then I have overridden the visibility settings for that filter to show in magenta. Next select an element and change its filter property to "schematic elements".

My problem is that I have set the visibility overrides in each view separately. Of course this could be setup in a template file ahead of time.

What are others doing -- if anything?

Thanks,
Nick

nole
2008-04-26, 06:25 AM
My problem is that I have set the visibility overrides in each view separately.
Thanks,
Nick
Hi there!
I think You can save filter states in a view template. Then You can select multiple views in project browser and apply saved view template on multiple views.

twiceroadsfool
2008-04-26, 02:38 PM
We use an entire Generic Class of objects, that then get swapped out for "real" or "specified" objects as decisions are made...

nicholas_baum
2008-04-28, 02:13 PM
Hi there!
I think You can save filter states in a view template. Then You can select multiple views in project browser and apply saved view template on multiple views.

I did not realize that you could select multiple views and apply a view template -- that is handy. But is there a way to add the new filter state across multiple (dissimilar) view templates (ie: plans, elevations, structural plans, etc...) ???

Nick

nicholas_baum
2008-04-28, 02:26 PM
We use an entire Generic Class of objects, that then get swapped out for "real" or "specified" objects as decisions are made...

What do you mean by "Generic Class of objects"? Did you create numerous generic model families or modified numerous families -- setting the family catagory to Generic model?

Thanks,
Nick

twiceroadsfool
2008-04-28, 02:56 PM
No, we leave their catagories as they should be... Dorrs are doors, windows as windows, etc. But we use one common material for all things Generic, and theyre all named accordingly, so if you select them they list as GENERIC.

In 3d, the obnoxious color tells everyone its at an early stage, and its not finalized. If they select it or touch it, the name tells them its Generic and not to dimension/baseline anything else off of it, etc..

Where in East Hampton are you? I lived there for a *very* short time in 2005. :)

twiceroadsfool
2008-04-28, 02:59 PM
A small example-

Walls have had materials and thicknesses finalized, and doors have been selected accordingly.

BUT, these two doors havent been swapped out yet. The generic ones are still there. Sooo...

EDIT: FWIW, i also make our Generic objects larger and very strange looking, so they draw attention in drawings. We have a "Generic Framing member" that is used ebfore we get sizes from structural... It looks like a hybrid between a Wide Flange and a Structural T, LOL...

nicholas_baum
2008-04-28, 03:18 PM
Aaron,

Thanks for the replys. That sounds like a great way to do it. I'll give it a try.

I live in the Springs area and work in Water Mill. Stop by if you're in the neighborhood.

Regards,
Nick
----------------------------------------------
Nicholas Baum LEED AP
Chaleff & Rogers, Architects
PO Box 990
1514 Montauk Hwy
Water Mill, NY 11976
p- 631 726-4477
f- 631 726-4478
www.chaleffandrogers.com
www.renderworkshop.com

twiceroadsfool
2008-04-28, 03:56 PM
Im all the way back in Central NY now. I was in East Hampton, then in Southampton while living in Hampton Bays. Stuck it out for 6 months or so, and couldnt stomach the cost of living. Came back up to wonderful Syracuse, where (for the small price of giving up the beach) i could afford to eat again. LOL... :)

twiceroadsfool
2008-04-28, 03:58 PM
Also worth mentioning (and this is JUST my personal preference... MANY people here will disagree with me). This discussion is why i prefer a template with next to nothing in it. When i go to drop a door in my project, the only door there is a Generic Class Door. I use it for everything. When wall type decisions get made (originally there is just Generic Interior and Generic Exterior) THEN i start loading in my correct door types.

What does this do for me? From a management / QC point of view, if im in EARLY design development, and i hit the Door drop down menu and see thirty door types already loaded in, now i know i can go freak out. :)