PDA

View Full Version : Foreshorten Round Column detail

captjim
2008-04-25, 09:30 PM
I had these round columns that I needed to foreshorten in detail views, and finding nothing out of the box to do it made groups consisting of detail lines and masking regions to get the job done - see attached.
What I really wanted was to make families that I could drag to resize and snap to the detail filled region no matter what size the column is, but I found Resize doesn't really work on anything you need it to work on, and couldn't find a way to simulate the effect of Resize with parameters that I could drag and snap to detail geometry.
Two questions:
1 Does anyone have an idea how I could make something with arcs or circles and other geometry that I can resize the whole thing proportionally by dragging?
2 Is there something I am missing that would make this excersize moot for this particular application?
Thanks,
Jim

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-26, 05:11 PM
Jim,

See attached detail component. You can open the family and reverse engineer to see how it works. Basically it is a mark region with invisible lines on the edges that we want invisible and medium lines on the arcs. All is locked to reference planes. The arc that's beyond is just a thin line. All the parameters are instance parameters, so you can drag the shape handles while in the project. You'll have to play with object styles > Model objects > Detail items to change the line weights if you want.

Andre Carvalho

captjim
2008-04-28, 05:41 PM
Thanks Andre, that's along the lines of what I wanted to do. I've played with it some and have ironed out some of the kinks that appeared when it was flexed, try this one.