PDA

View Full Version : Schedule header not showing

bob.86982
2008-04-28, 08:25 PM
I created a shared parameter for exterior doors and added it in my door family. In my schedule when I tell it to sort by exterior doors it leaves a blank space for a header but there is no text. For the paramater in the door family it is a text parameter and in the value column I put in Exterior. What am I doing wrong?

patricks
2008-04-28, 08:50 PM
You need to tell it that you want a header. Look under the Sorting tab, and click the check box for Header right under where you set it to sort by exterior doors.

bob.86982
2008-04-28, 09:50 PM
I did check the header box. I wonder if it has something to do with the parameter type or group but I tried different ones and still no luck.

Dwane Lindsey
2008-04-29, 04:27 AM
If you can, post a screen capture of what you are seeing. Sometimes it easier to make suggestions or give answers if we can see what you are seeing...to make sure everyone is on the same page.

bob.86982
2008-04-29, 02:22 PM
Im sorry but I don't know how to do a screen capture?

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-29, 02:53 PM
Im sorry but I don't know how to do a screen capture?

With the image you want to capture showing on the screen, just press the Print Screen (PrtScn) on your keyboard (Its is besides the Pause key).

Then it will copy the image to the clipboard. You can open any image editor software (or even the windows included "Paint") and just paste it there (CTRL + V) or (Edit > Paste from Clipboard).

Then you can save the image and when posting it just select the button Manage Attachments > Browse to where you file is > Upload > Close window > Post your message.

Andre Carvalho

bob.86982
2008-04-29, 05:56 PM
Andre,

Thanks for the instructions for the screen capture.

As you can see I have a blank rows for headers for Exterior Doors and Interior doors but there is no text showing. The headers for levels that I checked are there.

Bob M.

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-29, 07:32 PM
I can see two blank lines: Bellow the first blank line there's a garage door. Then there's another blank line and 3 more garage doors. If you said you are sorting your doors by exterior, shouldn't the garage doors be sorted together with no blank space between them. I mean, are you sure that you are sorting it by using the exterior parameter?

Andre Carvalho

patricks
2008-04-29, 07:43 PM
Looks like that first garage door hasn't had the Exterior parameter set yet, and so it groups it separately from the others.

bob.86982
2008-04-29, 07:51 PM
I haven't added the Exterior and Interior door parameters to all of my door families yet. The blank row at the top is for the exterior door header and the blank row below the first door is for the Interior door header. When I finish adding those parameters to all of my door families there will be more exterior doors in that grouping. Fo now I'm just trying to get the headers for Exterior and interior doors to show

patricks
2008-04-29, 08:05 PM
Well I just created something similar and it worked just fine.

I started a new project (with our template), created a wall, and placed a few doors in it.

Then I opened the door schedule properties, and added a parameter. I did not make it a shared parameter, but just added it as a project parameter. I called the field "Function", made it a text field, instance parameter, and grouped it under Identity Data for doors.

Then I went to my door schedule with the new field, and in some doors I type Exterior, and others I typed Interior in the Function column.

I went back to the door schedule properties, Sorting/Grouping tab. By default our door schedule is set up to sort by Mark. So I changed that to sort first by Function, Ascending order, with a Header included and a blank line between each grouping. Then I set it to sort secondly by Mark, so that in each group (Exterior and Interior) the door mark would be in ascending order. Over in the Formatting tab, I made that Function field hidden so that it would not list Exterior or Interior on every single door in the schedule, since they are already grouped as such.

Below you can see images of my Sorting tab, then the door schedule (with Function field showing), and the door schedule on a sheet (with Function field hidden).

*edit also, Exterior is listed first because Function is set to sort Ascending, so it sorts the Function field alphabetically. If you wanted to list Interior doors first, you could set to Descending.

bob.86982
2008-04-29, 08:53 PM
I just tried what you described and it worked for me, but that requires you to define each door in the schedule on each job, where I was trying to use shared parameters and define the doors in the family so when they are inserted in the project they are automatically listed in the schedule as interior or exterior.

patricks
2008-04-29, 09:08 PM
Ah I see what you're saying. I would think you would have to modify each door family and add that parameter, would you not?

bob.86982
2008-04-29, 09:21 PM
Yes, and when I do that it sorts them accordingly but it does not show the header.

patricks
2008-04-29, 09:33 PM
Well, I accomplished what you're after by using one of the fields already in the door family under Identity Data. I used the Description parameter. You could also use another one like Type Comments. These are type parameters and I think are typically not used in a regular door schedule.

So I re-named one door type to include Interior in the name, and type Interior in the Description for that door's type parameters. Then I duplicated that door type and put Exterior on the end of the name, and put Exterior in Description. Then I changed my schedule to sort by Description and include the header, and I got the same results I showed above.

You could modify your door families to have types differentiated by exterior and interior, by just putting Exterior or Interior in that Description field, or any of the other Identity Data type parameters. Then change your schedule in your project template to include that field, sort by that field first and then by mark, include the header, and then hide that field so it doesn't show up on the sheet.

bob.86982
2008-04-29, 10:23 PM
Thanks for your help. I was able to make that work. It seems you can only use existing parameters in the door families and not create new shared parameters and have them report the same way?

patricks
2008-04-30, 12:57 AM
Not sure about that. What category did you make your shared parameter when you first created it, i.e. did you make it Identity Data, Dimensions, or Constraints, or did you leave it as just Other? That could have something to do with it.

bob.86982
2008-04-30, 03:25 PM
You are right, the first time I tried to set it up I left the shared parameter as other, then when it wouldn't work I tried making it idenity data but I must not have coordinated the parameters correctly between the families and the door schedule. it seems to be working properly now.

I appreciate your help.