PDA

View Full Version : Learning (Starting Somewhere): DAO and ADO

chill3490
2004-09-08, 09:59 PM
To the more experienced programmer(s),

Is there any real problem with starting programming using DAO versus the allegedly more up-to-date ADO?

There seems to be more DAO reference materials out there including the current ATP046 course.

I am needing to get my feet wet and have a very bad predisposition for inaction when undecided.
Yet, I really want to jump in....... so please provide your factoids on this matter! ;-)

Ed Jobe
2004-09-08, 10:22 PM
It kind of depends on what your needs are. DAO has been specific to MS Access and since thats about all the data access I do, I've stayed with it for a long time. But, moving to .Net, I'm using ADO more .

RobertB
2004-09-09, 01:49 AM
Happily, I ignored DAO when I first started database programming. My 2 pennies is that you should ignore unsupported technology (DAO) and go with ADO (although I've heard ADO is different under .NET).

jim.vipond
2004-09-09, 10:28 AM
I started by using DAO but changed to ADO the last time I updated some apps.
I was using VB6 to develop a document management system & found it easier to integrate the AutoCAD bit using the same. Once you have successfully connected to a database once you tend to copy & re-use the code for other future connections.

Jim

hugh.69031
2004-09-09, 01:18 PM
Some of the concepts in DAO can be carried forward to ADO but DAO is old tech mixed up with ODBC. ODBC is flotsam. If you need DAO to talk to old tech such as vintage MSAccess, well and good, but if you are starting clean, start afresh.

chill3490
2004-09-09, 01:20 PM
Thanks to all resident sages,

NOTE: I'll be programming the latest AutoCAD version and connecting with an older Access 97 database (sans COM).

With no MSOffice upgrade planned, might it still be to my advantage to learn to program using the relatively newer ADO?

Now, to find ADO reference information! Let's see, maybe MICROSOFT.COM......:roll:

Ed Jobe
2004-09-09, 02:19 PM
Happily, I ignored DAO when I first started database programming. Hey, I resemble that remark! ;-)

although I've heard ADO is different under .NETI've just started using it. The differences come from the hugely different objects supported in the .Net framework vs previous os strategies and the shift toward xml.

Ed Jobe
2004-09-09, 02:28 PM
NOTE: I'll be programming the latest AutoCAD version and connecting with an older Access 97 database (sans COM). If you are coding within Access, one advantage you'l have over ADO is that you wont have to reference any other libraryies. That version of Access uses DAO natively. Other than that, its a matter of preference. Learning ADO will be more portable. But ADO.Net is something new to learn altogether. Just pick a place and start. :wink:

chill3490
2004-09-09, 03:08 PM
Just pick a place and start. ;)

No doubt, Ed....

I'll go with DAO for the very reasons you mention and, at least make some headway.

Thanks to you and other contributing colleagues.