PDA

View Full Version : compound taper barrel roof help

t1.shep
2008-04-28, 10:22 PM
I'm trying to create this roof...
It's a barrel roof for part but then from one of the barrel trusses it slopes to meet a wall. So on one side it is curved, but the other side it is straight.
I hope you can see what I mean from the photos. There is an exterior view and an interior view that shows where the roof tapers from the barrel to the straight wall...

Anybody lend some of their skills and tell me how they'd go about creating this roof?
I imagine that with the new sweep blend I could make an in-place family, but I don't like that idea, when I really just want a roof. And especially since I have yet to play with that new feature.

stuntmonkee
2008-04-28, 10:54 PM
I cant see a way to do it with out making it faceted.

2 questions:

1. Does it truley need to be modeled accurately?

2. does it need to be smooth faced?

t1.shep
2008-04-28, 11:01 PM
The big concern is that it shows correctly in sections. Which could be done by drafting, but then why did we buy Revit?
Also, since the interior space is kind of unique it would be nice to see it in interior elevations.

So, ideally, yes it needs to be modeled. But I don't think it necessarily needs to be smooth.

Without the ability to do it as a roof, I guess the best bet is to just make a separate model, mass, or component?

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-28, 11:12 PM
I think you best option would be creating a mass and then picking the mass faces to create a roof. (Mass > Roof by face). It still will be considered as a roof and your walls can extend to it if you want.

Andre Carvalho

stuntmonkee
2008-04-28, 11:28 PM
The big concern is that it shows correctly in sections. Which could be done by drafting, but then why did we buy Revit?
Also, since the interior space is kind of unique it would be nice to see it in interior elevations.

So, ideally, yes it needs to be modeled. But I don't think it necessarily needs to be smooth.

Without the ability to do it as a roof, I guess the best bet is to just make a separate model, mass, or component?

He he. . .yeah, I hear ya with the "Why did we buy Revit" thing. . . .but one thing I try and get my guys here to do is work smart, model smart. And this is a good example here in the office. I think as a Revit Community, we start to forget that this is about getting things built. Sometimes that requires a kick *** rendered model with a fly by. . . .but more often than not that means getting drawings out the door to be built and understood by the guy in the field as best possible, and inturn do that while making the best profit you can. . .meaning, less time is more profit. I don't imply to send out shotty 1/2 asz work, but sometimes the extra effort we all make to "Make Revit do Revit Stuff", turns into an anchor as opposed to using "Revit Tools" to improve our work flow, and use the standard tools to fill in the gaps.

With that said, you can look into using a curtain system, or using blends to get it as close as possible. I don't have 2009 yet, so I can speak with that in mind, but thats my opinion none the less.

tomnewsom
2008-04-29, 09:22 AM
Definitely make a mass with the surface in the right place - this can be a regular blend between a striaght object and a curved object. Then use Roof By Face. You'll get a proper layered roof that walls can attach to etc.

t1.shep
2008-04-29, 02:36 PM
Definitely make a mass with the surface in the right place - this can be a regular blend between a striaght object and a curved object. Then use Roof By Face. You'll get a proper layered roof that walls can attach to etc.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I always forget about the mass and roof/wall/curtain system by face tools. I think that should work, and will be giving it a try a little later. I'll let you know how it goes...

patricks
2008-04-29, 03:00 PM
Does this look about right? I created a mass with an extrusion (or sweep) for the barrel portion, and then a blend for the tapered portion, and then applied a roof to each face.

t1.shep
2008-04-30, 01:16 AM
That looks pretty close. What I ended up doing was to create the main barrel roof by extrusion. I then made the tapered portion by creating a mass and using the new solid swept blend (although you could probably use the regular blend tool?) I then created a roof by face. seems to work pretty well, however, I now have two roofs that don't seem to want to join.
Patricks, you created one mass in the shape and then applied the roof?
Also, if anyone is familiar with the new swept blend tool, is there a way to control where the sweeps blend, i.e. shouldn't I be able to create this entire roof with one mass by using the swept tool, so that the beginning profile sweeps further and then the blend happens?

Here's what I got. And just played around with the new MR rendering.

patricks
2008-04-30, 01:29 PM
Yes I did a single mass for the whole roof, and then applied the roof to the upper faces.

I also did the tapered portion as a regular blend, not a swept blend (not really necessary here I don't think).

tomnewsom
2008-04-30, 01:39 PM
Yes I did a single mass for the whole roof, and then applied the roof to the upper faces.

I also did the tapered portion as a regular blend, not a swept blend (not really necessary here I don't think).
this is exactly how I'd do it