PDA

View Full Version : Creating Tapered Walls

palustrine2003
2008-04-28, 11:08 PM
I am not sure how to create a custom retaining wall that is tapered. I read a post about using the sweep tool, but I am not sure how and where to do it. Any help would be awesome.

johk
2008-04-29, 12:46 AM
You can use the Edit Profile tool.
You draw your wall as usually and then in elevation select your wall and choose Edit Profile on the Option Bar.

Jonas

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-29, 02:00 AM
I'm sure Jonas misunderstood your question, because you can't achieve a tapered wall by editing its profile like that.

To achieve that you have two options (each one has its pros and cons):

1) In place family: Just go to Modelling > Create > Wall > Give it a name > Use the sold forms (like extrusion) to model your tapered wall the way you want.

Pros: Easy to edit if the wall height changes
Cons: No easy way to have a multi layer wall

2) Embedded profile: Create a profile like a triangle with the form you want the wall to be tapered (the base is the difference between the top and the bottom widths and the height is the same height as your wall). Load the profile into the project > Edit your wall > Edit its composition > Look at the wall in section to enable the sweep options > Sweep > Add > Play with offsets > Select Cuttable (to make it cuttable by openings), etc.

Pros: Your wall can have several layers; You can draw your wall in plan as you want and the sweep will follow; It is not an in-place family...
Cons: If your wall height changes, you have to edit the profile to correct it there.

I hope it helps,

Andre Carvalho

johk
2008-04-29, 02:06 AM
Yep I misunderstood the whole thing :)
I thought he wanted a tapered wall as if you look at it from an elevation i.e. it is higher at one end than the other.

Cheers
Jonas

Peter Davies
2008-05-08, 03:01 AM
Hi guys, I have a wall that has tapering faces in cross section, plus the top of the wall slopes. Anyone got any ideas on this one? I've been using a blend.

Andre Carvalho
2008-05-08, 03:13 AM
Hi Peter,

If it is just one wall, maybe creating an in-place wall is the better option. You can use Solid Extrusion to have the profile you want. If the top of the wall slopes in cross section too, it can be part of the extrusion. If it slopes in elevation, you can use a void to cut it or use a blend to construct the wall.

Andre Carvalho

Peter Davies
2008-05-08, 03:16 AM
Hi Andre, jeez that was quick :-) Thanks for your help.

SLKR2016
2013-10-18, 12:27 PM
To create tapered walls also consider using the extrusion tool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt9v8KBKOjA&feature=youtu.be