PDA

View Full Version : Slow 2009

captainbunsaver
2008-04-30, 12:29 PM
The office box uses an ATI FireGL V3100. I updated the driver, but I still get 'regens' with almost every command, and each takes about 30 seconds or longer.
I know there have been some issues with video drivers, but this makes 09 unusable.
Any ideas? (besides buy a new computer)

TC

gwnelson
2008-04-30, 12:39 PM
My solution from our Support pals was to turn Open GL on. Or off.

Right now I've had it off for a few days & all seems to be OK, although I'm not panning w shadows & stuff like that. And I have an Nvidia card.

Good luck.

jmctamney
2008-04-30, 12:47 PM
I've been dealing with display issues like this since day one. So far we've added more RAM and upgraded the video card to an FireGL V3400 with only minimal improvement. Next upgrade is the box itself. Whatever it is I don't think it will be another Dell Dimensionunless it's a core 2 duo. I've noticed a lot of people using Dells have Precisions. Are they that much better than the Dimensions?

patricks
2008-04-30, 12:53 PM
I'm running a Dell Precision workstation with dual dual-core Xeon processors, 4 GB RAM, and an nVIDIA Quadro FX 550 128MB graphics card. I've been running with OpenGL turned on in 2009 and have not had any issues related to graphics or re-gen times.

jmctamney
2008-04-30, 12:56 PM
I'm running a Dell Precision workstation with dual dual-core Xeon processors, 4 GB RAM, and an nVIDIA Quadro FX 550 128MB graphics card. I've been running with OpenGL turned on in 2009 and have not had any issues related to graphics or re-gen times.

Exactly what I'm talking about. It seems the people with dual core (especially Xeon) processors and the Precision workstations seems to be getting the best performance.

captainbunsaver
2008-04-30, 01:04 PM
Dell Prcision PWS 380
Pentium D CPU 2Gz
2G RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2
ATI FireGL V3100 (updated)

Upgrading the video may be an option. Any recommendations/stay-aways?

TC

patricks
2008-04-30, 01:08 PM
Exactly what I'm talking about. It seems the people with dual core (especially Xeon) processors and the Precision workstations seems to be getting the best performance.

I have quad cores :mrgreen:

Not that it makes any difference except during rendering, though.

jmctamney
2008-04-30, 01:10 PM
Everything I've read says Revit doesn't benefit from video cards with more ram. I went from an entry level, 256mb ATI Radeon to a 128mb FireGL with improved performance so I'd say that statement is true. My personal opinion is(only through observation) is you get the most benefit from more RAM and a better processor.

jmctamney
2008-04-30, 01:12 PM
I have quad cores :mrgreen:

Not that it makes any difference except during rendering, though.

I missed the the extra "dual" I've heard quads only advantage is with Rendering. Not much rendering going on in structural work.

iankids
2008-05-01, 06:00 AM
Hi All,
My box is a generic with a quad core Pentium processor in a good motherboard with 2 gig Ram.

Whilst I haven't noticed and significant degradation in regeneration times etc, I have noticed that 2009 seems to be far more resource hungry than 2008 was - even without rendering.

As this computer is my general work computer, I would often have multiple programs opened and running at the same time. Outlook, Firefox, Thunderbird, Revit & AutoCad are often all open at once and chugging away. With 2008, I never had any issues of running low on resources, however with 2009 I find that it will very suddenly decide that there is simply not enough juice left and disappear from the screen.

At this stage, it hasn't caused any loss of data, but it is nevertheless a nuisance. I know find myself being far more careful of what is open and running on the computer than I was 3 weeks ago.

Ah well I guess it is almost time for a new box!!!! - (Damm)

Cheers,

Ian