PDA

View Full Version : Work in 3D with perspective on?

jhumbard
2008-04-30, 05:46 PM
I understand that Revit does not allow the user to work in the camera view. What I am asking is when, if at all, does Revit plan to enable the user to work in the 3D view (not camera view) with perspective on? See attached illustrations to help clarify perspective & parallel projection (parallel projection is without perspective & same as Revit 3D view).

I recognize that it would take a lot more performance for a computer to calculate perspective, especially when you are moving around in an intelligent model. However, if Bentley Architecture and Google SketchUp allow you to work in the 3D view (not camera view) with perspective on, why wouldn’t Autodesk want to provide that option for designers? Having to create the camera views or work with 2 monitors just to see your model in perspective is overkill. You would have to jump thru to many hoops to achieve what is already a given in the other programs.

I see the value in this software for producing construction documents. But, as a design tool there is no value because you cannot work in perspective.

patricks
2008-04-30, 05:53 PM
I usually find it sufficient to work in a regular 3D axon view and not a perspective view. I can recall one particular instance where I had a complicated condition, and so I had a plan view on my left screen and both a 3D and a perspective view on the right screen all at once.

Actually I have a screen shot from when I did that:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/PatrickGSR94/Misc/RevitLayout.jpg

The Chop House eh? I think we have one of those around my area. We have a place in my town called the Mesquite Chophouse.