PDA

View Full Version : Visibilty/Extents Issues with Arced Gridlines

ddragoo144336
2008-05-01, 10:28 PM
For some odd reason today, it seems that when I draw an arced gridline and properly adjust the 3D extents in section (being careful that the view is exactly perpendicular to the gridline), they are still appearing in views that they should not. (Like showing up in the basement view, when the 3D extents don't go down there or on a roof plan when the the 3D extents goes as far as just above the basement.) Older arced gridlines (that I drew at the beginning of the project) as well as straight ones seem to be fine.

Also with some of my arced (old and new) gridlines, when I go to adjust them in section, no matter what I do it only allows me to adjust 2D, but not 3D. I have checked to make sure that the line I want to adjust is not pinned

Does anyone have any idea as to why this might be happening? Thanks!

(Note: This project is still in 2008, but we will be switching over to 2009 sometime next week.)

Scott Womack
2008-05-02, 11:16 AM
The issue with 2D vs 3D Extents in a section is this. If the grid line is inside of the Crop view extents, it'll allow you to get to the 3D extents. If a portion, end, etc. of the grid line is on the outside of the crop view edges, it will only show the 2D Extents. As to why they are appearing in other views, that is a much more complicated issue to try to explain.

ddragoo144336
2008-05-02, 04:14 PM
Scott, thank you for your reply!

I did some more messing around with the crop view in section and stretched it out so that it is huge. The arced gridlines appear a second time in the cut, in backwards order, as if the gridlines are coming around in a larger arc or complete circle and being cut again. (Which seems very odd to me, since this is not how I have the gridlines drawn. They are just arcs in plan, and in plan view I am having no trouble with 3D extents.) By stretching the crop view to capture both cuts, I am able to get 3D extents.

Here's the catch, though. Even with being able to place the 3D extents where I would like, I am still seeing all of the arced gridlines in all plan views. This is not, however, an issue with the straight gridlines - if they are not cut by the view, then they (correctly) do not show up.

I can go through each view and turn them off where I do not want to see them, but I would really like to figure out what is really going on.

Revit seems determined to eat my brain.

Andre Carvalho
2008-05-02, 04:24 PM
Why don't you use scope boxes? (Drafting > Scope box) Just draw your scope box around the grid lines you don't want to see in another levels and give it a name. Go to a section view and adjust the scope box extents to be only to the level you want to show the grid line. The, in plan, select the gridline > properties > under Extents, select the scope box name you just created.

Andre Carvalho

Scott Womack
2008-05-02, 05:39 PM
The other trick is to assign a number of the grid lines to a workset that was created to be off by default. In that way, you can turn them on in only the views that you want them to appear in. Someday, maybe we'll be able to control worksets visibility with the View Templates.