PDA

View Full Version : Project Information Setup

sroy
2008-05-02, 10:15 PM
We just got Revit 2009 in and we are starting to try and create the first items in Revit for part of company standards. The first item we are going to start with is a titleblock.

We have all of the necessary graphical information in the title block and now are looking to add some of the project specific labels and sheet labels to this titleblock.

We typically include information for our clients address along with project address. This was my thought on how this may work, but I am not really sure.

1) We were thinking about creating a shared parameter file called "TitleblockSharedParameters" and this will be somewhere on the network. Within this shared parameter we are going to add a parameter group called "ClientInfo" . Under this we are going to add text parameters for "Client Address" and "Client City, State, ZIP".

2) Within out title block family we are going to pick add parameter and then navigate to the location of the shared parameter created in number 1. We will add each of the specific parameters to the list and then into our label parameter. This will now have it placed on the titleblock.

3) Within a Project Template we will need to add the necessary shared parameters into the project parameters. I selected project parameters from the settings pull down, then add, shared parameters and selected the shared titleblock parameters. After selecting the specific parameter I selected project information from under categories and left the Group parameter under box as Other.

4) This now added the specificshared parameters into the project information area and when I create a new sheet with our titleblock and fill in necessary information in project information it shows up properly.

It appears to be working, but is this the way it should be done or is there a more efficient/logical way to do this. Below are a couple of questions about the process above.

Questions
1) I noticed in the out of box Project Information there is a spot for Project Address with a Edit box under value. Is it possible to create one similar to use a text box so that we can put address on top line and then city state and zip below in one area instead of two separate parameters?

2) When adding the parameter to the project are there other options for group parameter under list? It would be nice when pulling up project information there is specific groups for say "Project Information", Client Information" and other groups. I thought years ago when I downloaded a trial of Revit I was able to organize this into a list like this with different groups outside on the groups included, but I may be thinking of something else.

This may be a very simplistic question, but it is a starting point for us and learning as we go. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Shawn

luigi
2008-05-04, 01:47 AM
Hi Shawn,

1. There isn't a way to have it be exactly like the out of box project address. You may want to try to have it as 1 parameter, but in the parameter, when you fill it in, enter a hard "enter" (CTRL-ENTER) it should allow you to create a second, third, etc. line It works on most entries, but not view names....and the hard enter works in a pop-up window, not on graphically on the object

2. The only area I know of that allows you to set up groups of data is in your step no. 1, where you created parameter groups. On a side note...we usually have one shared file for the whole office, and have various groups for the titleblock, doors, project information, electrical, mechanical, etc.

But the steps you listed are typically the steps I go through when working on the titleblock information...

We just got Revit 2009 in and we are starting to try and create the first items in Revit for part of company standards. The first item we are going to start with is a titleblock.

We have all of the necessary graphical information in the title block and now are looking to add some of the project specific labels and sheet labels to this titleblock.

We typically include information for our clients address along with project address. This was my thought on how this may work, but I am not really sure.

1) We were thinking about creating a shared parameter file called "TitleblockSharedParameters" and this will be somewhere on the network. Within this shared parameter we are going to add a parameter group called "ClientInfo" . Under this we are going to add text parameters for "Client Address" and "Client City, State, ZIP".

2) Within out title block family we are going to pick add parameter and then navigate to the location of the shared parameter created in number 1. We will add each of the specific parameters to the list and then into our label parameter. This will now have it placed on the titleblock.

3) Within a Project Template we will need to add the necessary shared parameters into the project parameters. I selected project parameters from the settings pull down, then add, shared parameters and selected the shared titleblock parameters. After selecting the specific parameter I selected project information from under categories and left the Group parameter under box as Other.

4) This now added the specificshared parameters into the project information area and when I create a new sheet with our titleblock and fill in necessary information in project information it shows up properly.

It appears to be working, but is this the way it should be done or is there a more efficient/logical way to do this. Below are a couple of questions about the process above.

Questions
1) I noticed in the out of box Project Information there is a spot for Project Address with a Edit box under value. Is it possible to create one similar to use a text box so that we can put address on top line and then city state and zip below in one area instead of two separate parameters?

2) When adding the parameter to the project are there other options for group parameter under list? It would be nice when pulling up project information there is specific groups for say "Project Information", Client Information" and other groups. I thought years ago when I downloaded a trial of Revit I was able to organize this into a list like this with different groups outside on the groups included, but I may be thinking of something else.

This may be a very simplistic question, but it is a starting point for us and learning as we go. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Shawn

sroy
2008-05-05, 07:17 PM
Is there anyone else that recalls if you can organize the project information with custom names? I am trying to find the old tutorials for past versions to see if this really existed.

arqt49
2008-05-06, 12:19 AM
You can try playing with annotation families inside the titleblock family.
That way, you can even add the client logo.
As for project information, you must add the same parameters in both the project and the titleblock family so that they can sincronize.

luigi
2008-05-06, 02:07 AM
As a side note, I am not sure when you downloaded the trial, but I have been making titleblocks since version 4.5 and don't remember anything about what you described in your first post...

As you noted, you can add as many shared parameters to the titleblock, and if these parameters were converted in a project, then they were available both in the titleblock and in the "project information" window. You can organize various "groups" inside the shared parameter txt file (but you already know that)
You have never been able (since 4.5) to have custom parameter groups (other than in the shared parameter) and we had much less available before MEP and Structures were introduced.

Is there anyone else that recalls if you can organize the project information with custom names? I am trying to find the old tutorials for past versions to see if this really existed.

mcox.157847
2008-08-13, 09:22 PM
Is there a way to purge some of the Label information while in the Titleblocl family?
I am attempting to recreate the border, and am finding the person that created the initial border didn't organize the parameters vert good, so I want to delete some and replace with my organized shared parameters.

Is there a way to pruge unused parameters? There are the icons on the bottom of the Edit Label dialog, but only the Add Parameter or Edit Family Parameter is active for any of them. Am I missing something, shouldn't the third icon be delete? If so, how do I make it active?
:roll: