PDA

View Full Version : Scaling Objects?

kevin-brown1741
2003-07-29, 01:24 PM
Is it possible to scale an object to 1/2 it's original size? Specifically I have downloaded a "large carriage light" from RUGI downloads and am wondering if I can create a smaller version without extensive editing or recreating it from scratch in the Family Editor. Any tips would be appreciated. TIA

Kevin Brown

PeterJ
2003-07-29, 02:17 PM
No scaling available.

I don't know the firtting you are referring to so I can't say how easy it will be to edit but it shouldn't be that demanding.

P

kevin-brown1741
2003-07-29, 02:34 PM
Hi Peter,

thanks for the info. It's a dandy for editing actually. 4 revolves, 10 blends, and 1 sweep. Yeesh. Guess I'll just make a new one. I wish I could just link in some 3d dwgs of the ones I have created in autocad. Alas, it does not work. :cry:

Kevin Brown

PeterJ
2003-07-29, 03:17 PM
If you have something modelled in AutoCAD you should be able to bring it in. Make a new family and then import your 3D model to that. Save and then load that into your project file

kevin-brown1741
2003-07-29, 03:58 PM
I agree. I should be able to. It would save me a lot of modelling considering the amount of 3D dwgs I have. However, when I try to import or link an AutoCAD drawing, only 2D entities are brought in. Any solids are left behind. Am i doing something wrong or is it only possible to import 2D geometry? :?

Kevin

Scott D Davis
2003-07-29, 04:03 PM
Try exporting as a DXF from ACAD, then import the DXF into a new family. Revit recognizes 3D planes, but not 3D solids.

kevin-brown1741
2003-07-29, 05:05 PM
Nope. DXF didn't work either. Import and/or Link show zero entities. Definitely have some compatibility issues here. I was hoping this would work better. I've tried 2004 and 2000 dwg formats and there is no difference. Any other thoughts? I know, I know. Model it in Revit. Parametrics are great but I have a ton of legacy solids that would serve my purpose well if I could just get at them. :(

Kevin

christopher.zoog51272
2003-07-29, 06:22 PM
Nope. DXF didn't work either. Import and/or Link show zero entities. Definitely have some compatibility issues here. I was hoping this would work better. I've tried 2004 and 2000 dwg formats and there is no difference. Any other thoughts? I know, I know. Model it in Revit. Parametrics are great but I have a ton of legacy solids that would serve my purpose well if I could just get at them. :(

Kevin

have you tried to "meah out" the files? there is a lisp routine floating around the internet, that does convert solids to meshes. Solid are a big no-go for revit. You could try exploding them first?

kevin-brown1741
2003-07-29, 06:51 PM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Any idea where I can find the routine you mentioned. I could only find Mesh to Solid routines, none the other way around. I tried exploding the solids to regions and bodies but still no go.

Kevin

christopher.zoog51272
2003-07-29, 07:23 PM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Any idea where I can find the routine you mentioned. I could only find Mesh to Solid routines, none the other way around. I tried exploding the solids to regions and bodies but still no go.

Kevin

here you go, accustudio has it.

http://www.accustudio.com/marketplace/freeware.htm

click on MESHOUT.lsp

Note: I have never used this but I have heard it works nicely on solid models.

Z.

kevin-brown1741
2003-07-29, 07:53 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I had a couple of spectacular crashes trying to convert some of my more complex models, but it seems to work on most of them and I can finally bring some 3D dwgs in to my Revit files. Thanks again! :D

brentcarlson892079
2003-07-30, 02:53 PM
:idea:
Z, this would be a good addition to the Tips & Tricks forum. :wink: