PDA

View Full Version : No old family preview with Revit 2009

Mario Mangone
2008-05-07, 10:02 PM
I can not pre-view any old family or old drafting views with the new Revit 2009.
It is like working in the dark,
going thru hundreds of families is time consuming.
Any suggestions?

dhurtubise
2008-05-07, 10:29 PM
Use the batch upgrade utility to upgrade a copy of your library to 2009

gordolake
2008-05-08, 12:57 AM
Here is a recent link if your having trouble
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=65021

Steve

patricks
2008-05-08, 12:34 PM
For some reason I can see some previews of older families, but others I cannot. I can't figure out what the difference is.

And we're not using 2009 for everything yet, so I can't do the batch upgrade. :(

gwnelson
2008-05-08, 05:01 PM
How come I get good previews of pre-2009 projects? Doesn't seem to make sense that those work but not families.

Scott D Davis
2008-05-08, 05:44 PM
And we're not using 2009 for everything yet, so I can't do the batch upgrade. :(

you could duplicate your library, calling one "2008" and the other "2009" and then batch the 2009 library.

patricks
2008-05-08, 07:03 PM
yikes, then you run into the problem of someone creating or modifying a family in 2008, saving it in the 2008 library, and then 2009 users don't know that new or improved family is out there.

I'd just like to know why I can see some previews of old families and some I cannot while in 2009.

Scott D Davis
2008-05-08, 07:26 PM
yikes, then you run into the problem of someone creating or modifying a family in 2008, saving it in the 2008 library, and then 2009 users don't know that new or improved family is out there.

That's where communication comes into play... :) Not sure why the thumbnails aren't updating consistently.

We used to use concurrent libraries all the time when I was at a firm. I always kept 2 versions, the new release and the past release, until everyone and every project was upgraded. If a 2008 familiy was changed, it got saved into another folder. (our libraries were read-only, and the BIM manager updated them). That folder was checked and new families were saved as the right version into the right folder.

patricks
2008-05-08, 08:28 PM
Yeah that sounds like a good idea. It's just that we're not so tight-lipped with our families around here. With only 3 Revit users, anyone can modify or create new ones as we please. I will usually notify the others when I create new stuff, though.

When you say you kept 2 versions of the library until all projects were upgraded, did you mean each and every project both in design phases, CD phases, construction phases, etc? Just wondering because we start anywhere from 40 to 60 new projects every year. Many of them don't get far, but we probably have nearly 40 Revit projects somewhere in between the schematic design and the late construction phase at any point in time.

Or do you just upgrade all the projects in the working drawings stages, and then maybe upgrade older projects currently under construction as you go along, or as you need to?

And yes, us 3 users are quite over-worked around here. The boss (one of the users) needs to hire som more help I think. ;)

Scott D Davis
2008-05-08, 08:38 PM
Yeah that sounds like a good idea. It's just that we're not so tight-lipped with our families around here. With only 3 Revit users, anyone can modify or create new ones as we please. I will usually notify the others when I create new stuff, though.

When you say you kept 2 versions of the library until all projects were upgraded, did you mean each and every project both in design phases, CD phases, construction phases, etc? Just wondering because we start anywhere from 40 to 60 new projects every year. Many of them don't get far, but we probably have nearly 40 Revit projects somewhere in between the schematic design and the late construction phase at any point in time.

Or do you just upgrade all the projects in the working drawings stages, and then maybe upgrade older projects currently under construction as you go along, or as you need to?

And yes, us 3 users are quite over-worked around here. The boss (one of the users) needs to hire som more help I think. ;)

Just the libraries were saved in 2 versions. Some projects got upgraded, some others did not. Some got upgraded right away, others got upgraded when it made sense. Thus the need for two libraries. hope that helps!