PDA

View Full Version : Schedule Anomoly

Tyveka
2008-05-08, 01:33 PM
Hi All,

I have a material schedule that I'm trying to create.
As you can see from the attached, I have an anomoly - a default wall material showing up that is 0 sq. ft and has a total of 5 instances. How can I track this down to eliminate this rogue condition? Not even sure where to really begin, other than looking at every wall type used and see where that material is being used. That is a lot of walls...

Thanks for any insight!

rkitect
2008-05-08, 06:33 PM
Try selecting that row, then clicking "Show" on the options bar while viewing the schedule. This should take you to a view that shows this material and highlights where it is located.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8710/scheduleshowpu8.jpg

Also, are you using a formula to calculate your total cost? If so, can I see that formula?

kpaxton
2008-05-08, 07:22 PM
tyveka010,

Unfortunately, there isn't a 'quick method for seeing where a particular material is being used in the project other than this method. Rkitect is correct - use the SHOW button to find where the offending(?) item is located in your project, then modify the wall. If you've unchecked the "Itemize Every Instance" box in the Sorting Tab of the schedule, you may not catch all the wall types that may have this material assigned.(You could keep hitting the Show button, but you'll have to get out of that at some point to edit the wall type).

I might go a step further and create a Duplicate of the schedule - then go to the Filter Tab and make a filter that looks for ONLY the Default material. Make sure you go to the Sorting Tab and check Itemize every instance. {See the enclosed JPG} You'll notice also that I added a few other fields in this schedule - namely the TYPE and TYPE MARK so that I can actually see the 'offending' wall types.

Remember this is only going to show the walls currently in use in your project - there will be others in the Type Selector & Template that are not being used. At some point, I'd open your template, drop all of them in a plan view - do this exercise, then resave your Template.

What also concerns me is that your Default Wall material is coming across with a Zero (0.00 SF) value. I have not been able to replicate that, even by making it a Membrane or Air Space Function. I'd see what this particular wall is doing and why it is a 0 number. Hmmmm.......

rkitect - the Total Cost is probably a Calculated Value (in the middle of the Fields Tab) of the Schedule. Press "Calculated Value", Give it a unique name, and type the Formula at the bottom (typing & spelling count here !!)
(Material: Area * Material: Cost) / 1 SF <--- Make sure you divide the value by 1 to get the value to read. The final step is to go to the Formatting Tab and check the "Calculate Totals" checkbox (very important!!)

Hope this helps!
Kyle

rkitect
2008-05-08, 07:32 PM
kpaxton, that last divide by to get the consitent units is what I was missing. Thanks!

Also, I have a feeling that the offending object is not a wall in this case, just a gut feeling tho.

Tyveka
2008-05-08, 09:45 PM
Yeah, the 0.00 value is bothering me too. Otherwise it would not be an issue. I could always create a filter to get rid of any 0 values but I want to know what was build incorrectly, not how to hide the erroneous value...

So many things to troubleshoot.

Thank you for the replies, I'll try to keep you all posted.

Edit - the Total cost in my schedule is just following a tip from another thread - I created a field called total cost, populated it with the "Cost" Field and in formatting, specified that it was to calculate totals (or something to that effect). You can always do what Kyle suggested to (which is what I was trying to do but with the "Count" parameter, which we can't do).

Oh, I have tried the "Show" button - it highlights something but nothing is visible where it is selected... even the properties button is unselectable.