PDA

View Full Version : 2D dwg elevs to revit model

ariel162892
2008-05-08, 03:53 PM
What's the suggested workflow on building a revit model if given the autocad dwg files of the floor plans and elevations of a building? Can you import the 2d elevation linework into the elevation views to use as templates for sketching outlines?

Or how about scanned jpegs of handrawn but scaled elevation sketches?

thanks.

ariel

tomnewsom
2008-05-08, 04:27 PM
Yes, autocad and jpeg drawings can be imported and scaled from.

I would start from the plans, then use the elevations as guidelines to tweak the model.

It does sound like you're thinking about Revit in terms of drawings - elevations/plans/sections. Fundamental to understanding and benefitting from Revit is the notion that you are always creating the model.

Scott D Davis
2008-05-08, 04:30 PM
Sure, you can import or link DWG's into a Revit project. You can import the 2D DWGs into plan views or elevation views to use as a "guide" for rebuilding the project in Revit. You can also bring in scanned documents as a JPG or PNG to use as a background to trace over.

ariel162892
2008-05-08, 05:03 PM
Yes, autocad and jpeg drawings can be imported and scaled from.

I would start from the plans, then use the elevations as guidelines to tweak the model.

It does sound like you're thinking about Revit in terms of drawings - elevations/plans/sections. Fundamental to understanding and benefitting from Revit is the notion that you are always creating the model.

I'm coming from a background of providing 3d rendering services to other architects so I usually get these types of files to build my models using a different software. I want to know if my workflow can still be somewhat similar in Revit wherein I can:

1) layout the imported drawings (2d plans and elevs) in their respective views
2) draw the walls by tracing over the 2d floor plan (I already know this)
3) use the 2d elevations as 'snaps' to create the roofs, windows, etc.

patricks
2008-05-08, 05:12 PM
I'm coming from a background of providing 3d rendering services to other architects so I usually get these types of files to build my models using a different software. I want to know if my workflow can still be somewhat similar in Revit wherein I can:

1) layout the imported drawings (2d plans and elevs) in their respective views
2) draw the walls by tracing over the 2d floor plan (I already know this)
3) use the 2d elevations as 'snaps' to create the roofs, windows, etc.

I wouldn't go about it quite that way. Most of the time, roofs and windows are created or placed in plan views. Then you can tweak the size or height of the windows in elevation, or the height of the roof in elevation if it's not bearing in exactly the right place (I'd probably use a section for that, actually). Then you have other elements like wall or roof fascia sweeps, which could be part of the wall type itself, or you can place them onto a wall in elevation views. I usually place roof fascias while in a 3D view.

Also, you would not know where to place the 2D elevation DWG links in your elevation views until you have the walls drawn in plan view first.

If you have not created anything in Revit yet, I would highly suggest going through the tutorial that starts you off creating a building model. This is the tutorial that comes before the more in-depth tutorials on various model elements. That's how I got started with Revit and I've never looked back.

rkitect
2008-05-08, 05:22 PM
Just a note about tracing over DWGs. Architects, even though we don't like to admit it, don't always check the scaled dimensions on their AutoCAD dwgs. So even though that wall is dimensioned at 12', doesn't mean it actually is 12'. We had to stop accepting DWGs from our clients specifically because our production team would just trace the DWGs and not actually check that the walls and such were acurate to the CDs.

ariel162892
2008-05-08, 05:26 PM
I've actually already done some of the tutorials and have even taken a formal training class for beginners. So I think I already have enough skills to create a revit model from scratch.

The reason for the post is I wanted to find out if how more experienced revit users would use the 2d elevation dwgs or jpegs. Do you import them at all in the revit file or do you simply use a hard copy or autocad to get your measurements?

rkitect
2008-05-08, 05:41 PM
Personally, if you're just creating visualization models then I would just trace over the DWGs. However, if your model will have any liability when it comes to object collision, dimensions clearances, etc, then I would model from scratch. This way there is no question that your model is exactly modeled to the documents provided to you. Now if the documents provided to you were DWGs, then hey, go ahead and trace them.

If JPGs were provided, call your client, laugh at them when they answer, then hang up.

ariel162892
2008-05-08, 06:01 PM
If JPGs were provided, call your client, laugh at them when they answer, then hang up.

I'm referring to hand-drawn scaled elevations here. You'll be surprised how many architects (including me) are more comfortable using a plain pen and paper in the design process.

patricks
2008-05-08, 08:33 PM
I would just use the DWG plan and not import the elevations at all. I would just have the elevations open on my right screen while working in Revit on the left screen. Handy setup I must say.

Yeah, my boss (who works in Revit alot himself) also does lots of hand-sketches, which I then create the Revit model from. To avoid the headaches of having to scan in the sketches and getting them scaled right in Revit (because Revit always brings in raster images at 72 dpi no matter what, a real PITA when the image is actually 200 or 300 dpi), I usually just scale the actual sketch on paper, and create the model accordingly.

I have done this many times and it seems to work well.

rkitect
2008-05-08, 09:04 PM
Well, didn't mean to offend. I'm just amused at the amount of clients that think JPG is the optimal way to transfer CDs to a subcontractor. I too prefer pen and paper when it comes to the conceptual and design process, but when it comes to documenting, nothing beats a nicely coordinated Revit model :D