PDA

View Full Version : Which to set up first?

hemimike
2008-05-12, 12:29 AM
New here and to the forum. Great site. My question is which do you need to set up first? The Vault and directories or the Project? Will be using one project. Also, does it matter when you edit/creat your own templates and title blocks etc...? Its been confusing but I think I finally figured most of it out....:) Thanks for any help.

Mike

Harold Pei Jr
2008-05-12, 07:43 PM
I believe the process is similar for every program using Vault (since you didn't mention yours). I'd say you have to set up the Vault first.

hemimike
2008-05-12, 11:24 PM
OOPS......Sorry. That would have helped. I'm using Autodesk Inventor 2008. The Vault and a single Project has been a little confusing.

Mike

Harold Pei Jr
2008-05-13, 12:06 AM
What do you mean by "a single Project?" Are you looking at 1 project per Vault?
Title block, you can start any time, but I'd have everything set up BEFORE anyone uses the Vault. Set your template up first, makes it easier to keep things organized.

hemimike
2008-05-13, 01:12 PM
Yes, one project to take care of the whole Vault. Don't really have to worry about someone else using it right now. I've been the only designer here for 20 years...lol But we will be adding another Cad operator.

Mike

tao.liu
2008-05-16, 07:40 AM
When you start a new project, there will be a dialog box, ask you to choose
if you want to create a single project or a Vault project?

My experience told me, for some small project, maybe contain 20~50 parts,30 drawings, 3~4 assemble models, you can finish by yourself, so you can choose a single project.

As for large project, maybe there will be a design team for it, which contain 1000~2000 piece sheet metal, all the common parts should be created as iparts, and the finial assemble model should be created as iassembly. All the models need to create drawing, and addtionally exploded drawing are preferred!(Sometime your customers seem to be so crazy)

Here we prefer to start with vault project. It means,
Drafer A finished 10 pieces of sheet metal, and then check them in. Important, check them out as soon, do not allow other guys make changs.
Drafter A continue with next 10 piece sheet metals,
At the same time Drafter B get the shee metal made by A from the Vault, and these parts are read only. Then based on these models, Drafter B begin to create drawing.

Vault is a PDM software.
But I still prefer to use the platform of Pro/E and Pro/Intralink.