PDA

View Full Version : roof - best practice for gable with soffit and facia??

pshupe
2008-05-12, 03:57 PM
I'm wondering what the easiest way to produce the model like the picture attached. I am doing a small house for a friend, and learning REVIT at the same time. He wants a gable over the garage but wants to break it up with a strip of roof with soffit and facia. Could someone tell me the best way to do this? Thanks in advance.

Regards Peter.

jeffh
2008-05-12, 05:17 PM
The attached PDF contains steps to do a very similiar roof to your picture. I am also attaching a finished version of the roof shown in the tutorial.

pshupe
2008-05-12, 05:25 PM
Thanks - I'll give it a try.

Cheers Peter.

pshupe
2008-05-14, 12:57 PM
Thanks Jeff - that worked very well.

I have another question now. sorry! I have to add another roof, like image attached. I already have the small dormer, like the image, at the front of the house. I want to add the larger dormer, circled, a little bit behind. I tried just adding a wall and roof but wanted to know the best way of adding or atleast cutting it so it doesn't intersect with my existing roof. Please advise. I really appreciate the help.

Thanks again.

Regards Peter.

pshupe
2008-05-15, 11:28 AM
bump - sorry but I need to figure something out for this. Is there a way to fake it or add merge my roof objects together?? Thanks for any advice.

Regards Peter.

jeffh
2008-05-18, 08:05 PM
Sorry I did not get back to this question. I was at the AIA convention in Boston for the last 4 days or so. You will most likly need to do the roof you are showing with a few different roof objects and then use the roof join tool to put them all together. There is a nice tutorial for doing many different roof conditions on the documentation section of the Revit website. Download the tutorial files and it is one of the "advanced" tutorials.

pshupe
2008-05-20, 02:19 PM
No problem Jeff - Yeah ,I checked out that tutorial but I couldn't get the roof to attach for some reason? It would only allow me to select the back and front face lines, and then when I selected the main roof to join, it said it could not join them?

Thanks for the help. I'm liking the way REVIT handles this stuff. It's just the little stuff that is frustrating. Cheers Peter.

PS - The roofs are in the same plane and the same style, and family.

patricks
2008-05-20, 03:07 PM
Attaching a dormer roof to a main roof can be tricky when the dormer roof touches the main roof before you attach it. Revit can be picky like that sometimes. I'm not sure how I would handle that situation, but if you can post a file with just the roof I can try.

Also for the gable, I probably would have made a single sketch line for the gable end, and then for the second piece of roof, I would have done slope-defining lines on 3 sides, then aligned and joined geometry of the 2 roofs. This is helpful if there are different slopes on the ends and sides of the roof where the hips may not be at exactly 45 degrees.

Hey Jeff I was in Boston, as well! My first AIA conference and man I couldn't believe how massive it was! The AutoDesk booth was pretty cool with all the stations for people try out and learn Revit.

pshupe
2008-05-20, 03:19 PM
Here you go. Here is the file uploaded. As for the gables, I did use a single sketch line. The only other roof object in the file is for the little piece of roof on the front of the large gable to the right, that Jeff helped me with.

The file is REVIT 2009 BTW. Thanks for the offer and I hope you can solve the problem for me! Thanks again.

Regards Peter.

Andre Carvalho
2008-05-20, 04:10 PM
Here's your roof. It's not complete yet, but if you reverse engineer it you will see what I did to make it work.

Andre Carvalho

pshupe
2008-05-20, 05:07 PM
Thanks Andre, I appreciate it. Can you give a little verbiage about your process? Or tell me where I was going wrong?

Here's a silly question - Now that I have the roof fixed, how do I import-insert-merge it into my full house project??

Thanks again.

Regards Peter.

Andre Carvalho
2008-05-20, 05:34 PM
Thanks Andre, I appreciate it. Can you give a little verbiage about your process? Or tell me where I was going wrong?

Thanks again.

Regards Peter.

Sure. As Patrick mentioned above, sometimes Revit encounters problems when trying to attach the dormer roof to the main roof on certain situations. Your case was one of these situations. So rather than trying to attach, I edited the roof footprint to shape it the way it was supposed to connect the main roof and worked with slope arrows to define the slopes and ridge.

Later, to create the opening, I simply used a vertical opening rather than a dormer opening. To use the dormer opening you need have walls to pick and create it and in your case you just have one wall. Vertical opening allows you to sketch the opening the way you want.

I hope it helps,

Andre Carvalho

pshupe
2008-05-20, 05:40 PM
Yep - that helps - even if just for reference when I give it a try myself. How would I import the new roof into my project now?? Sorry for the silly questions but once I do that I can get out a couple of progress prints. Thanks again. I really appreciate all the help.

Cheers Peter.

Andre Carvalho
2008-05-20, 06:32 PM
How would I import the new roof into my project now?? Sorry for the silly questions but once I do that I can get out a couple of progress prints. Thanks again. I really appreciate all the help.

Cheers Peter.

Select the entire roof on a plan view (like Site plan view) and then paste it into the site plan view of your project. To paste go to Edit > Paste aligned > Current view.

Andre Carvalho

pshupe
2008-05-20, 06:37 PM
Thanks again!

Peter.