PDA

View Full Version : How do I SHOW proposed floor height variation with Phasing??

Richard McCarthy
2004-09-10, 03:11 AM
G'day mates!

I kinda get stuck with a theotical (well actually real and urgent!) question....
I have a house renovation project and the ceiling height for ground floor of existing floor to floor is very low (2300 mm high).
Now, I have a proposed to jack up the floor to floor height to 2700 mm; and using phasing, how do I do that?!!... if I just change the level height it will propogate all the changes to the new height with all the walls and floors regardless of phase... so how do I do it??
Do I have to demolish EVERYTHING above ground floor and just copy and past everything from demolish and set it to the right height, and redo the floors above??.. (gawd. I hope not!!...) Is there an easier way to do this?..

beegee
2004-09-10, 03:20 AM
Think about how it will actually get built.

Will the Upper floor be lifted 400 mm ? Will the Lower floor be dropped 200 mm and the Upper lifted 200 mm ?

What then happens to existing walls and ceilings ? Do new walls get built on top of the old ? Do ceilings get demolished and rebuilt. ? Do existing walls get completely demolished and replaced with new ?

Once you have the process down, then put in your new levels. You will need to hide some, in some views of the existing probably. Your existing levels remain. They define the extent of existing elements. The existing may need to hidden in views of new work or could remain, depending how relevant they are.

Then proceed to either add the new wall portions or the new ( replacement ) walls.

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-09-10, 05:35 AM
Not sure how permits and the like work in your area but when I do a reno such as this there is no need to show anything but the existing elevations. If that is the case I would just save a copy of your project or just export the elevations as dwg files and reimport into the proposed reno file.

In the project file lock the levels that won't change, 'raise' the floor, indicate the previous top of foundation elevation as a datum (level with no plan associated) then add the appropriate pony wall or foundation extension atop the old wall and you're done.

Richard McCarthy
2004-09-10, 06:24 AM
beegee, g'day mate :)

The thing about this is that all the ground floor is going to get knock down and put in new stud wall and columns to lift the whole 2nd floor up by 400 mm.
So I guess I can't just lift the level up and hope all the object remember where they were in levels in existing phase, and where they are going to be in the future phase..??

beegee
2004-09-10, 07:22 AM
beegee, g'day mate :)

The thing about this is that all the ground floor is going to get knock down and put in new stud wall and columns to lift the whole 2nd floor up by 400 mm.
So I guess I can't just lift the level up and hope all the object remember where they were in levels in existing phase, and where they are going to be in the future phase..??
Thats right Richard. Levels in Revit exist independently of phases. So if you intend to create two new levels for the ground floor and the 2nd floor, which will define the bottom and top of new walls and floors ( effectively for floors ) then that is what you must show. The new stud wall and columns extend from the new ground level to the new 2nd level. You must first copy the ground floor and paste that copy into a view of the New Ground Level with the phase set to New Work. Then demolish the existing ground floor. Repeat that process fro the second floor. Then demo;ish the walls and build your new walls. You must be careful that you work from the appropriate level view and the correct phase, otherwise you can get into all sorts of strife.

We've just finished a similar exercise on a 3 storey Commercial building where we added a new additional floor, changed existing levels and heavily demo'd lots of stuff. Good fun !