PDA

View Full Version : Steel Rigid Frame

barathd
2004-09-10, 04:09 AM
What is the best way to draw a "steel rigid frame"? I want to draw a 60' clear span rigid frame constructed from W16x26 with a 1:12 slope - 20 foot eave height. Ideally this would be a family with parameters for span, height, slope, girt size and spacing and purlin size and spacing. Is this possible?

Thank you.

Regards

Dick Barath

beegee
2004-09-10, 05:51 AM
I would look at doing it with a sweep and an imported profile to match the portal cross section.

Mr Spot
2004-09-10, 05:52 AM
It's definitely possible will take some serious use of arrays, formulas and nested families though. Might be best to sketch out your intentions on paper first then work out exactly what you need to control. Any elements that need to be arrayed will have to be nested. It hard to explain without actually going through the process... Best i think to dive in and give it a go... :D

jfudo
2004-09-13, 03:34 PM
I've built families for metal building rigid frames. I didn't attempt to make it adjustable, I figure I'll just make a copy of the family for each size I need. In my opinion, just because the options are there doesn't mean we should use them.

My method for building them was to draw the web in a front elevatin view as a 1/2" deep extrusion, the flanges were a profile attached to each side of the web. This allowes the use of tapered beams as well.

I put the girts as sweeps in the wall properties. I haven't figured out the best way to deal with purlins yet. Maybe the best way is to put them in as extrusions on the family frame as well, or possible make a purlin family (trying to use the steel beam tool with Z-purlins along a slope would be a pain since you can move beams around at will)

barathd
2004-09-13, 03:57 PM
Jfudo:

You have some great ideas thanks for sharing them - especially like the sweep for the flanges. I'm holding off doing anything monumental until I see Revit 7.

Regards

Dick Barath

jfudo
2004-09-13, 06:22 PM
That seems to be the general consensus with all the structural people here. We're just trying to get by and get used to the program, hopefully we'll be rewarded shortly.

barathd
2004-09-13, 08:42 PM
Jfudo:

I sure hope so - but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Regards

Dick Barath