PDA

View Full Version : Batch Print etc are in Subscription center for 2009

still.james
2008-05-13, 11:43 AM
unsure if it has been posted, but they are there now for 2009 to download.

Rustle
2008-05-13, 09:58 PM
Is it just me or does it still not work on networked printers?

JamesVan
2008-05-13, 11:21 PM
I believe it should work for a networked printer, you just have to set it up as your default printer before using Batch Print.

Brockway
2008-05-15, 06:22 PM
Am I missing something? People continually talk about things that are available at the Subscription Center and I have yet to be able to use that site for anything useful except submit support requests.

In fact, the only Revit reference I see is a little link at the bottom of the front page that takes me to a page that references Revit "Building" (not Architecture).

Something has got to be wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

DaveP
2008-05-15, 07:48 PM
As soon as you log in to the Subscription Center, at the bottom of the page, there's a section that's labeled:
Product Information & Downloads
I think that's where you're looking. At the bottom of that box is a link labeled Autodesk Revit that I'm guessing is what you're referring to.
However, in the middle of that box, there's a link labeled
Architecture, Engineering & Construction (AEC): Product Modules & Add-Ons
That's the one that gets you to the downloads

Brockway
2008-05-16, 03:17 PM
Aha!
Genius. Thanks.

ron.sanpedro
2008-05-17, 02:40 AM
I believe it should work for a networked printer, you just have to set it up as your default printer before using Batch Print.

What a bummer. Still doesn't work in the reality of, what 99% of Revit users using Revit? If it was freeware I would still be annoyed, but it isn't. Is it really that hard to make the tool work well/right? Especially when you are so in bed with Microsoft you are privy to all but the innermost secrets? I am starting to sound bitter, but I am just so tired of half baked tools. Batch print requires a lame workaround in any environment beyond the architect working out of the spare bedroom, the worksharing tool can't cope with the 3G switch, which many/most users who need it are likely to also implement, slab editing works on the upper surface only (topping slab in a renovation, anyone?)? What gives?

Gordon

DaveP
2008-05-18, 11:52 PM
..., the worksharing tool can't cope with the 3G switch, Gordon

Have you tried it yet?
The 3GB bug was fixed in the 2009 version

clay_hickling
2008-05-20, 07:19 AM
What is so great about this batch print tool. We already had the ability to send a batch of prints. The only thing I can see this thing doing is you can change the order? Am I missing something, seems alot of effort just for that adding functionality.

sbrown
2008-05-20, 01:10 PM
Its supposed to run in the background so you can keep working.

LRaiz
2008-05-20, 03:45 PM
Its supposed to run in the background so you can keep working.The amount of computer resources needed to print Revit sheets makes the idea of running in background and continuing productive use of Revit not very realistic, doesn't it?

sbrown
2008-05-20, 03:51 PM
It probably does, but that is the feature that they are selling.

ron.sanpedro
2008-05-20, 05:51 PM
What is so great about this batch print tool. We already had the ability to send a batch of prints. The only thing I can see this thing doing is you can change the order? Am I missing something, seems alot of effort just for that adding functionality.

Printing in order is a big deal to me. Mostly because of the brutal horsepower needs of printing, I want to send the whole set at 5:00 and leave. And I don't want to sort everything the next morning. Of course doing this as a separate app rather than just taking the Project Browser sorting capabilities and adding them to the print dialog proves that someone somewhere just doesn't get it. A little too much "putting out fires" and not enough "making good tools that don't spontaneously combust".

Gordon

ron.sanpedro
2008-05-20, 05:58 PM
Have you tried it yet?
The 3GB bug was fixed in the 2009 version

I had not yet, as it took so long for them to make it available, rather than making it a part of the initial rollout, and we still haven't rolled out 2009 because of ongoing performance and stability issues. We are back to waiting for the first service pack for the first time in a long time, and none too happy about it.
And I have gotten to the point where I expect Autodesk to not fix things once they are released. Broken stuff stays broken and we just get new features we didn't want (Google Earth plugin, Steering Wheel, etc.). Not technically true, I know, but it sure feels like it, and the printing tool and others prove the point often enough. Just very frustrating, given the potential Revit has. That and Revit raises the bar to the point we complain about things we never even bothered to dream about with AutoCAD. ;)

Best,
Gordon