PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Changes...

AJGKennedy
2008-05-14, 07:02 PM
I am not here yet, but I see this as something to think about...

I was just over hearing someone complaining about a change on a project that has already gone for tender... so we are at the post tender phase... everything has to be documented and changes to the drawings marked...

The change in question was something that would have been easy in Revit... but then I realize... wait a minuet... if we are in that tricky part of our drawings were everything has to be documented... if we did a change that automatically went through the set and fixed or change something... how do we know or document all the locations effected by this?

I am new at this stuff... I now that the revision stuff is going to be cool is this part of that?

I will be looking at this further down the road as my first job reaches this stage...

So far everything has been great... lots of bumps in the road... but all worth it the hard work...

Andrew Dobson
2008-05-14, 07:22 PM
Revit needs a way to flag up which drawings have changed when you make a change to the model.

I previously submitted a wish list item whereby the name of a drawing that had changed since last issued would go red in the project browser. This would be even better if it updated the revision number on that drawing and put a revision cloud around it.

The revision improvements in 2009 are a good first step towards this.

AJGKennedy
2008-07-31, 09:14 PM
I would agree... This would be a big wish list item for me... I can't image the problems we will get into if these can't be tracked in this phase... This could be a legal nightmare...

Revit needs a way to flag up which drawings have changed when you make a change to the model.

I previously submitted a wish list item whereby the name of a drawing that had changed since last issued would go red in the project browser. This would be even better if it updated the revision number on that drawing and put a revision cloud around it.

The revision improvements in 2009 are a good first step towards this.

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-31, 11:08 PM
I am not here yet, but I see this as something to think about...

I was just over hearing someone complaining about a change on a project that has already gone for tender... so we are at the post tender phase... everything has to be documented and changes to the drawings marked...

The change in question was something that would have been easy in Revit... but then I realize... wait a minuet... if we are in that tricky part of our drawings were everything has to be documented... if we did a change that automatically went through the set and fixed or change something... how do we know or document all the locations effected by this?

I am new at this stuff... I now that the revision stuff is going to be cool is this part of that?

I will be looking at this further down the road as my first job reaches this stage...

So far everything has been great... lots of bumps in the road... but all worth it the hard work...

If you have you original file published to DWF (before the changes) and then you publish to DWF again (after the changes), you can use the Design Review > Tools > Compare > to compare what has been changed between both sets.

Andre Carvalho

AJGKennedy
2008-08-01, 01:10 PM
I know you can always check a set with what went out (hard copy or DWF/PDF...) to see the changes...

This works for a small project.... but on a project with hundreds of sheets... this is the nightmare...

Andre Carvalho
2008-08-01, 02:38 PM
I know you can always check a set with what went out (hard copy or DWF/PDF...) to see the changes...

This works for a small project.... but on a project with hundreds of sheets... this is the nightmare...

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. The DWF will just make it easier to know what was added and what was deleted by comparing both files containing the set of sheets and make the changes in different colors (without the need of manually looking for changes).

Maybe in the future, Revit will be able to import that information back so we can easily review it directly in Revit.

Or have a better revision tool embedded into Revit...

Andre Carvalho