PDA

View Full Version : Open GL slowdown problems

DaveP
2008-05-15, 03:04 PM
I had a user complain to me yesterday that their model had suddenly become very slow. Zooming and Panning were painfully slow. Reboot did nothing. Did the usual tricks to trey to speed things up. Nothing helped.

Then I remembered to check the Open GL setting. Ahah! Open GL Hardware acceleration was turned on! Turned it off and BAM! things sped up immediately and the user was happy again. Dang Open GL!!!!!!!!

Oh, BTW, did I mention that this was in SketchUp?

:shock:

Wes Macaulay
2008-05-15, 04:06 PM
Our Radeons on our Dell laptops and Macbook Pro don't like OpenGL and Sketchup, though it depends on the driver used:

Catalyst 6 series drivers -- OpenGL in SU works, but views in Revit crash
Catalyst 7 series drivers -- OpenGL in SU is dead slow, but Revit is fine
Catalyst 8.3 drivers, softmodded for Mobility Radeons -- OpenGL in SU is slow, Revit is fineOddly, using the Mobility Catalyst 8.x drivers is slower in SU than the desktop drivers. Who knew.

It would be great if all the apps out there got their glue together with driver issues. (BTW, SU works great with our FireGL cards on our workstations. We're using the 8.440 drivers.) On the other hand, it shows that it's not just Revit that has problems with common video hardware and/or drivers.

ron.sanpedro
2008-05-15, 06:41 PM
Our Radeons on our Dell laptops and Macbook Pro don't like OpenGL and Sketchup, though it depends on the driver used:

Catalyst 6 series drivers -- OpenGL in SU works, but views in Revit crash
Catalyst 7 series drivers -- OpenGL in SU is dead slow, but Revit is fine
Catalyst 8.3 drivers, softmodded for Mobility Radeons -- OpenGL in SU is slow, Revit is fineOddly, using the Mobility Catalyst 8.x drivers is slower in SU than the desktop drivers. Who knew.

It would be great if all the apps out there got their glue together with driver issues. (BTW, SU works great with our FireGL cards on our workstations. We're using the 8.440 drivers.) On the other hand, it shows that it's not just Revit that has problems with common video hardware and/or drivers.

Was playing with RAC 2009 on my MacBook Pro with Parallels last night, and OpenGL ON made a huge difference. Seems like the virtual driver in Parallels is better than the "real" drivers from nVidia. Why does this not surprise me. ;)

Gordon

gwnelson
2008-05-15, 06:54 PM
If you somehow end up going to the "HOTFIX" area at Adesk they're "aware" of graphic performance issues and the (LOL) "HOTFIX" is to turn Open GL off.

Wouldn't it be nice for there to be a little tag in there (or anywhere) where someone steps up to the plate & says that they're working on it rather than coax us into degrading the app to get it to work?