PDA

View Full Version : How to share the same legend between projects?

tsong
2008-05-15, 05:19 PM
Hi, All
We are working on a big project. To minimize the size of the Revit file, we separate it into several small files, with a couple of person working on each. But we still going to use the same legend. I know we could copy and paste the legend into each file. But what happen if someone change the legend in his own file and forget to tell other team members?

So I am trying to find out is a way that we could all "link" the legend from a source file, if the legend is changed in one file, it will be automatically updated in every other file.

I tried "linked file" and "import views". None of them works. Anybody has smarter ideas?

Thank you!

TroyGates
2008-05-15, 06:55 PM
One option I've seen people do is make their entire legend as a family. You can then place the family into each project. If you update the family, just reload into each project.

ejc
2008-05-16, 12:05 AM
Project-1 has Legend
Project-2 needs Legend

1. Open Project-1 and open the desired Legend. Then VERIFY the scale of the legend view.
2. Copy the Legend contents to the clip board.
3. Jump over to Project-2.
4. Create a new Legend with the same scale and paste the contents.

This has been the only way to do this. Legends WILL NOT transfer via "Project Standards" or via "Insert from File / View".

You might have problems if you have Legend Components in the Legend. Legend Components are linked to families located in the project they are in.

Detail components and text will come over fine.

I have no idea about the "Create a Family for Legend" thing. I hope the author will provide a little more info. "hint,,,hint"

Later,

ejc

tsong
2008-05-16, 06:16 PM
Thank you, Guys, for all the suggestions.

I tried it again. I tried to make a family of legend, but seems it doesn’t work to me....? If you could let me know more information of how to do it, TroyGates, I will really appreciate.

For now what I am doing is creating the legend in AutoCAD and link it to each Revit file. So, if there is any change, the legend could be updated automatically. I know it's not the best way, but.....Revit doesn't give us more options.

msmith.tsap
2008-05-16, 10:36 PM
Went through the same exercises you did.

Found out best way was to:
1. Project 1 - Copy/cut and paste existing Legend contents into new Drafting View,
2. Project 2 -Insert From File (Drafting View) from Poject 1into Project 2.
3. Copy/cut- paste from Drafting View into New Legend.

Voila!

I think I picked this up from another post somewhere. No credit to me.

sfaust
2008-05-16, 10:44 PM
why not just open both files and copy/paste from one legend to another?

ejc
2008-05-18, 02:16 AM
Went through the same exercises you did.

Found out best way was to:
1. Project 1 - Copy/cut and paste existing Legend contents into new Drafting View,
2. Project 2 -Insert From File (Drafting View) from Poject 1into Project 2.
3. Copy/cut- paste from Drafting View into New Legend.

Voila!

I think I picked this up from another post somewhere. No credit to me.

Problem! You can only insert the drafting view 1 time on 1 sheet. Many legends are placed on several sheets!

ejc

tsong
2008-05-19, 08:56 PM
Problem! You can only insert the drafting view 1 time on 1 sheet. Many legends are placed on several sheets!

ejc

I think I figure out a way to make a "legend" family --->create a generic annotation family, type the legend and load it into the file. Not sure if it's the right way?

rkitect
2008-05-20, 04:40 AM
Just to be different:

-Link the separate models into a master CD project (or a master Legend/Schedule project)
-Create schedule/legend, be sure to select "Include elements in linked files"
-Number pages accordingly to fit with other CD sets.

Thoughts, comments?

msmith.tsap
2008-05-20, 09:28 PM

ejc

You missed the last step.

Cut/paste the content from the DRAFTING into the LEGEND view and you can place as many times as you need.

Marc

saeborne
2008-05-21, 01:52 PM
Just to be different:

-Link the separate models into a master CD project (or a master Legend/Schedule project)
-Create schedule/legend, be sure to select "Include elements in linked files"
-Number pages accordingly to fit with other CD sets.

Thoughts, comments?

How would you link the views (elevations, sections, details) from the "Slave" project into the Master CD RVT file? I've heard it's possible, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks,

BC

lcamara
2009-06-29, 09:55 PM
What's the purpose of copying to a Drafting View first? Is it to handle Legend Components for families that might be missing in the target project?

kreed
2009-06-29, 11:45 PM
How would you link the views (elevations, sections, details) from the "Slave" project into the Master CD RVT file? I've heard it's possible, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks,

BC

You have to create views twice but it works out well. Model, annotate and dimension everything in your slave file. Create the exact same view in the Master file then go to VG and the Revit Links tab. Under each lined file you can turn the overrides to "By Linked View" and point it to the view in your slave file.

The only thing that is in you Master view is the live tags and callouts and the linked model.
This way all callouts, details, legends, etc are live and consistent on the sheets, which are created in the Master file.

It's not the smoothest workflow but we have used it succesfully. We just finished a project with 9 buildings and a site file using this system. The Master file was only running about 50 MB.

Munkholm
2009-06-30, 08:08 AM
Realizing that the goal here is to keep file sizes to a minimum, but why not just keep it all in one file and use worksets. Create the worksets, so that team members only need to open relevant worksets, and by that optimize model performance.
In my experience this works quite well - even in large projects (+200 mb)

Just a thougth.