PDA

View Full Version : Family Development and Detail Views

ctc
2008-05-15, 10:25 PM
How far has anyone gone with family creation in Revit so that detail views of it display correctly with its host and minimal drafting is required?

For example I have created a window family which includes, as nested families, the most common casing assemblies (modeled) that our office uses. When loaded into a project and placed into a wall family it's elevation, section, 3D, and detail views display correctly. However where it is not desirable to see the casing as in plan view and in elevation views where the family is visible from the side, I am unable to turn the casings visibility off in the family without losing it also in a jamb, head, or sill detail views. Also, turning the casings visibility off in the projects views are not desirable as the casings "ghost" obscures the visibility of its host wherever it touches.

I suppose I could draft detail components in the window family to represent each of the different casing profiles in all of these detail views, and then turn the casing models visibility off in plan and left/right views, but that seems to make a lot of work and add a lot of overhead to the file size!

Another solution would be to turn the visibility of the casing off in the family's plan and left and right views, and then reference a "drafted" detail view library that continually grows as new assemblies are encountered. But that seems too AutoCAD...

How have others solved this?

Eric Stewart
2008-05-16, 12:17 PM
Create a sub-category for the casing and control its visibility that way.

ctc
2008-05-16, 12:35 PM
Create a sub-category for the casing and control its visibility that way.

Thank you for your reply.

If you are referring to turning the subcategory's visibility off in the project views where I do not want to see it, I have addressed the problems with that method in the third and fourth sentences of my second paragraph.

An additional problem with that method is that any materials assigned by category are visible in the view even if the category's visibility is turned off! This one is for the developers.

If you're referring to something else please advise.