PDA

View Full Version : ?Recent files & a Steering Wheel question

Paul Monsef
2008-05-17, 04:31 PM
With 3ds MAX 2009 I noticed i could not render anything larger than 8.5x11 @ 72dpi without crashing. Running a Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon X5365 machine w/ 8GB of ram that seemed a little odd.

So i did a little research & found this:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=11027531&linkID=9241177

The AutoCam feature (ViewCube and SteeringWheels) can cause noticeable performance degradation. If you are working with complex scenes that cause your machine to run out of resources, it is strongly recommended that you fully disable the AutoCam plug-in.

To disable the AutoCam plug-in

Close Autodesk 3ds Max 2009.
In Windows® Explorer, navigate to the Autodesk 3ds Max 2009 root folder. The default location of this directory is C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2009.
Open the \stdplugs folder.
Locate the AutoCamMax.gup file.
Right-click the file. On the shortcut menu, click Rename.
Rename the file, AutoCamMax.gup.bak.
Restart Autodesk 3ds Max 2009.
Note: To enable this feature rename the file, AutoCamMax.gup.
The statement above is a little misleading; I was only 'running out of resources' because the View Cube & Steering Wheel were not disabled. I am wondering if there is a similar fix for Revit 2009. I would love to disable the Steering Wheel/View Cube and that no good Recent files window that keeps flashing at me when I switch between windows (even though it is turned off).

Should I rename the AutoCam.dll located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Revit Architecture 2009\Program directory?