PDA

View Full Version : Bent & Cripple Beams

Mr Greg
2008-05-19, 09:06 PM
So I created a family for a Bent Beam. I added stick symbols and Analytical model lines. Is there anyway to make the beam endpoints to work like a normal beam to get the right extensions. Also, when I frame normal beams into the custom one, it dosent connect like regular framing. Is there something I am missing. Here is a picture to explain a bit better.

TheViking
2008-06-08, 02:36 PM
Did you create these from scratch? Or modify and existing beam?

Beams are VERY complicated, so I strong suggest modification. You will need to attach the geometry to the correct reference planes. I would also use the Symbolic Representation from the Project. This will allow Revit to generate this line using the rules of the join.

Mr Greg
2008-06-09, 04:20 PM
Well...i actually found a good work-around for this. I drew 2 beam, one straight and one angled. Then I extended the ends, drew a refrence plane and cut geometry. Looks perfect except in plan view(beam appears to be 2 segments) so I drew a detail line over them.

Peter Davies
2008-06-10, 08:30 AM
Hi, RS2009 may help with this. It has some great tools for contolling the joints.

Andre Carvalho
2008-06-10, 01:39 PM
Hi, RS2009 may help with this. It has some great tools for contolling the joints.

The new tool is called Edit Beam Joins and can be found either at the Toolbars or by selecting the beam, right clicking its blue dot and choosing Edit Beam Joins.

Andre Carvalho

Mr Greg
2008-06-16, 04:24 PM
The new tool is called Edit Beam Joins and can be found either at the Toolbars or by selecting the beam, right clicking its blue dot and choosing Edit Beam Joins.

Andre Carvalho

I wish i could use 2009 on this project but the Architect has yet to upgrade. They are still working in 2008.

hhall
2008-08-26, 04:48 PM
Ok, I must be clueless. I've tried everything in this thread and in previous threads about crippled beams and bent beams and still cannot get it. I need a bent beam with a 15 degree angle. Can some one help me. Also I'm supposed to do a RUG meeting today about bent beams. And can't seem to make anything work. I did the step by step crippled beam Rick suggested and can't make it work. Can someone tell me step by step to do a bent beam using solid sweeps and also modeling beam. I'm desperate.

Thanks