PDA

View Full Version : RAC 2009 - rendered section materials rotated

ws
2008-05-20, 11:20 AM
I was quite impressed that wall materials show up in rendered sections but I notice that the texture is rotated 90 degrees.

In the attached render you can see the stone core material of the wall has the stonework going vertically.

The same material renders OK when viewed externally as a wall.

Before I report it I wondered if anyone else had come across this - it rather looks like a bug?

Wes Macaulay
2008-05-20, 04:16 PM
I can't comment on the bug but the rendering looks impressive!

Andrew Dobson
2008-05-21, 02:29 PM
Not sure that the door at the top of the stair is complient with building regulations though...

The wonders of old buildings!

ws
2008-05-21, 05:30 PM
thanks Wes,

Yes, Andrew - it's a good one - out on to half a step - and it is very steep as well.

Sort of thing you might see on some tv programmes about building alterations and you wonder how it got past Building Control.

Fortunately this is the building as existing - I produced this just to show the client the relationships of various elements which were not obvious on site.

We are going to redesign the stair along with the entire front of the house.

jeffh
2008-05-22, 01:09 AM
I have seen this issue. It has been logged with development for investigation.

ws
2008-05-22, 07:02 AM
thanks Jeff - I won't report it in that case.

ws
2008-05-22, 04:54 PM
the workaround is obvious really - just rotate the material in the wall properties fixes it, as long as the same material does not appear externally elsewhere in the scene (as that would now look wrong)...

This version was rendered at Medium whereas the previous one was done at High...
not that much difference in quality at small size but a huge difference in render time.

ejburrell67787
2008-05-22, 05:13 PM
Now tell me, are those walls really stone all the way through? ;)

patricks
2008-05-22, 05:59 PM
If it's an old existing house in the UK, then I bet it is stone all the way through.

ws
2008-05-22, 06:05 PM
It's not a bad representation.

House walls are normally an inner and outer layer of coursed 'watershot' rubble slatestone(where the stone slopes downwards to the outside as there is a natural angle to the stone bed) with 'through' stones connecting them together and the cavities filled with broken bits of stone.

Barns tend to have more field stones or 'cobbles' within them and are often less stable as earth was sometimes packed into the wall core but washed out over the centuries.

House walls from 18th century onwards were nearly always 2 feet thick with outbuildings and inner partition walls 1' or 1'6" stone rubble - in which case the walls would be solid coursed rubble.

I've shown it as green stone but it varies from blue through black to bright green mixed with an iron oxide reddish tinge.

Unfortunately the few remaining quarries diamond saw the stone rather than blast and rive it into a natural finish and so the walling material has to be gleaned from old waste tips by hand.

Even just doing a slatestone facing to cavity wall construction for modern construction we are amazed at the quantity of material required to build a lakeland stone house.
The only insulation is the plaster on the inside.

Sorry to ramble on about rubble ;)

patricks
2008-05-22, 06:22 PM
yep, 'tis what I thought.

I'd love to visit the UK one day. I've only been to Europe once, and it was over in the eastern parts.

ejburrell67787
2008-05-23, 07:17 AM
If it's an old existing house in the UK, then I bet it is stone all the way through. Well as William confirmed most walls are two skins of stone with more stone or rubble between rather than stones that span the full thickness... hence my joke! :p

SkiSouth
2008-05-23, 12:46 PM
Simple fix is to paint the wall with a material hatch pattern. This will rotate the material properly. So how do you do this? You must trick Revit. As has been observed, the section materials do not wrap properly when rendered. This is a known bug. Note this workaround is for the image only. You probably will not want to keep the work around as it messes the model up.

Take your model and extrude a void to match the section box. Paint all surfaces that the void cuts with appropriate materials - render. Materials now match. And as you observed, you don't have to worry about rotating materials and if the materials occur in other locations and how rotating materials would affect the other locations.

ws
2008-05-23, 01:57 PM
thanks Ski - that's clever.

I always forget about the paint tool.

cheers :beer: