PDA

View Full Version : User Name Change

Sweetshelby
2008-05-20, 05:16 PM
Does anyone know how Revit gets the user name? I asumed it was from the Windows Log in. We have had some people leave the office but Revit still has there name as the user even though we have changed the Windows Log in.

Is it safe to just change the name under options or is there a better way?

Thanks

ron.sanpedro
2008-05-20, 05:23 PM
Does anyone know how Revit gets the user name? I asumed it was from the Windows Log in. We have had some people leave the office but Revit still has there name as the user even though we have changed the Windows Log in.

Is it safe to just change the name under options or is there a better way?

Thanks

The name is stored in the INI file. If there is no name there when Revit launches it will be pulled from the Windows Login and recorded in the INI, and Windows Login is ignored from then on out.
Yes, you can change it under Options, and then close and reopen Revit. Or you can manually edit the INI file. Some have even created a Windows Login script that blanks that line in the Revit.INI so Revit will recreate from the Windows Login every time. Good trick if you have people "borrowing" machines a lot.

Best,
Gordon

Sweetshelby
2008-05-20, 06:01 PM
Thank you so much I will see if this helps.

ejburrell67787
2008-05-21, 08:21 AM
We had this happen a couple of times with changing windows user log-ins also. I just changed the name in the Revit Options dialogue box and restarted Revit and it worked every time. 8)

adb
2008-05-21, 11:08 AM
One gotcha is that if this is a worksetted project you will have to re-create the local file with the new user name. If you simply change the user name in revit the local file that is associated with the old user name will become "invalid". I'm can't remember what the exact term is but it simply won't work.