PDA

View Full Version : Facsia object on roof ridge line

Chad Smith
2008-05-21, 11:08 PM
For some reason in 2009 I can't place a Fascia object on the ridge line of my roofs. Anyone else experiencing this?

jeffh
2008-05-22, 12:59 AM
It has been mentioned in a couple of other posts. This is not possible in 2009 the behavior was changed. You can use an in place sweep or there are some other solutions mentioned in other posts.

I suspect this was changed because using a fascia for something like a ridge vent, while extremly handy in many cases, is not a CORRECT application of a fascia object.

Chad Smith
2008-05-22, 01:15 AM
Finally found that other thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=79143).

With Revit full of other required workarounds, why has Autodesk decided to remove this one?
Instead of removing something that worked, why not add a feature for something that doesn't, like being able to add a gutter to a non-horizontal roofline. Some of the decisions that get made are truely bizzare.

aaronrumple
2008-05-22, 01:18 AM
It has been mentioned in a couple of other posts. This is not possible in 2009 the behavior was changed. You can use an in place sweep or there are some other solutions mentioned in other posts.

I suspect this was changed because using a fascia for something like a ridge vent, while extremly handy in many cases, is not a CORRECT application of a fascia object.

So, can I have a ridge vent tool please? Or should we just leave the vents off the building?

In-place anything still sucks.....

iru69
2008-05-22, 03:10 AM
Yeah, they're suppose to be eliminating work-arounds by adding features, not by removing features.

Instead of removing something that worked, why not add a feature for something that doesn't, like being able to add a gutter to a non-horizontal roofline. Some of the decisions that get made are truely bizzare.

I would rather hear that the programmers themselves have no freaking clue how the feature disappeared than to hear that they're intentionally removing flexibility from existing features over some arbitrary principal of what is "correct".

patricks
2008-05-22, 12:53 PM
Finally found that other thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=79143).

With Revit full of other required workarounds, why has Autodesk decided to remove this one?

I don't think I've actually seen a gutter on a non-horizontal roof edge.

aaronrumple
2008-05-22, 03:26 PM

If were talking about CORRECT, then I should be able to slope my gutter correctly to the downspout on the fascia. Revit makes them flat and prone to overflow.

All gutters should be non-horizontal. We have non-horizontal gutters all the time on the back of retail.

Chad Smith
2008-05-22, 10:15 PM
Here's what I mean.

chris.needham
2008-05-25, 10:48 AM

We have them on buildings often.