PDA

View Full Version : Importing Sketchup

DaveP
2008-05-22, 07:51 PM
"Mass contains both solid and mesh geometry.
Mass Floors, volume, and surface area, may appear incorrect."
Anybody know what that means?
I'm trying to bring in some Sketchup models. I create a Mass, then Import the Sketchup model & I get that error message. I'd love to be able to bring in these models and use the 2009 Mass Floor tool so I can get some useful info out of Sketchup (trying to wean the Designers off SU & into Revit). When I use the Mass Floor, I get:

Mass Floors may appear incorrect since the Mass contains mesh and solid geometry.
No idea what mesh or solid geometry mean. I know nothing about SU.

benmay
2008-05-23, 07:38 AM
This error message is usually just a warning, you can just close message and finish the mass with out any problems. As for what it actually means, I don't know enough about sketchup to be sure. But at a guess I would say some of the geometry is coming through from sketchup as a mesh which is basically 2d linework with 3d co-ordinates, which you cant apply anything to with the massing tools

As for creating floors from the sketchup model, the massing tools are very picky with floors, and I have found anything complex and Revit wont apply a floor to it. Walls, curtains & roof's (is that a word) can be apply easily but floors always give me troubles. I have the same problem here with DWG imports from AutoCAD, Rhino, Form-Z etc as well

I usually apply my walls & curtains, then setup my floors plans which will allow me to quickly create a floor from selecting the outline of the floor in plan in floor sketch mode