PDA

View Full Version : AIA layer discipline by creator or by object?

modulor
2008-05-23, 08:07 PM
Been trying to figure this out for years and it has come up again at a new office:
As an architectural office is it best to use only "A-" layers?
Perfect example is site plans:
"C-PKNG-CURB" or "A-PKNG-CURB". We design it, but the civil engineer uses our drawings as reference. So who would be considered the responsible agent (as far as layering)?

stelthorst
2008-05-23, 10:42 PM
Hi Erik,

Personally, I name layers by object. I'm electrical but if I draw a piece of mechanical gear I need to feed I use the M- discipline code and not the E- code.

Just my 2c.

RICHARD_JONES
2008-05-27, 05:43 PM
I’ll second Scott’s comments.

Charles Prettyman
2008-07-01, 09:28 PM
From my handy copy of the second edition of the AIA Layer Standards (the 1997 edition) - this may be out of date now:
"The First Character, now termed a discipline code, is intended primarily to identify the author of the graphic information. Thus, a structural column placed by an architect would be A-Cols rather than S-Cols."

cadtag
2008-07-03, 01:14 PM
Which discipline is responsible for the design of the element? Rule of thumb I've used has been whoever 'owns' the design element has the discipline code. So here it would be A-BLDG for the building foorprint, even though the civil guy is drawing it, and C-PRKG even if the architect laid out what he wanted for parking areas.

Liamnacuac
2008-07-16, 03:23 AM
I tend to think the layer name helps to tell somone who drew the elements on that layer. Now I know you are all thinking "well gee dummy! what drawing is it on?" Extra data at no cost is a good thing.:)
If things are copied in, or referenced-it can be a very quick identifier.

vapross
2008-08-31, 07:17 PM
could you tell about some examples of implementing layer state/filter/group filter in your practice?

it's very useful information for me at the moment because i'm understanding new(for me sure) ways of using layers. i've made such a post about this subject but i haven't got some wished answers(maybe i can't make my question correct))

drysod88
2008-09-04, 04:45 PM
I think it depends on how you are integrating your consultants drawings.
I'm in architecture and personally I use the C, E, S, M, etc. identifiers as well as the A identifiers in my drawings. I prefer to use the discipline code as an OBJECT identifier. But I also tend to translate consultant layers into my layering system because I haven't found ONE that uses a standard AIA layer guideline with any consistency. If I were regularly incorporating their layers into my drawings and we had similar standards, then I might change my mind because I wouldn't want our layers to have the same names and run the risk of cross-contamination (so to speak).
Regardless of who originally shows the element, the discipline OWNS the object (IMO) so as an architect, I won't show a column that is structural unless I discuss it with the structural engineer and know that it will be on his drawings too. So even if I don't take it from his CAD file - I still put it on S-Cols

Viswaprakash
2008-09-05, 01:15 PM
The layer naming should be based on objects. Then only a person can identify, what's inside that layer.