PDA

View Full Version : Dimension Running String / indicative crs

kurk
2008-05-27, 06:11 AM
I am wanting a dimension line to indicate the centres (centers) of my framing as shown in 1st picture below.

Currently I either have to draw a detail line with a diagonal line (or detail component) and then annotate that or I can use text with multiple leaders that have the diagonal arrow head. This second option doesnt allow for a diagonal dimension line very easily.

Is there an easy way to do this sort iof thing that I am missing??

Cheers

Andre Carvalho
2008-05-27, 01:45 PM
Are your frames part of a family? If yes, if you create a reference plane on the center of the frame family, you will be able to pick it by center even if you can't see the center reference plane after it is loaded into your project.

Andre Carvalho

kurk
2008-05-27, 09:46 PM
Sorry Andre I probably wasnt very clear. Yes my framing is a family and I can dimension to the centre of it no probs.

My issue is more of a graphical one I guess. I am wanting a dimension line that shows no values but says '...joists @400crs (typical)' across a sample range of joists.

It was late here when I posted and seems a silly request now. I think I will simply dimension a few and annotate as per image below.

I prefer my leaders and a sample dimension string like this to be angular across model elements to lessen confusion with the building elements themselves (initial post , 1st image) but understand that an angular dimension technically doesnt show correct distances anyway (was just indicative and leftover from hand drawing days).

I notice that although you can replace dimension values with text now (great!) you can't leave blank as an indicative (ambiguous) dimension string to notate separately so will use the eq values as shown with new text field below. I presume this is what others do?

Thanks for you help though (will try to post a better question next time! - being self taught has left me a relative newbie at times).

Cheers

Scott D Davis
2008-05-27, 11:51 PM
Have you tried using a Beam System Tag? Here's a screen shot from the Help menu:

kurk
2008-05-28, 01:33 AM
That looks like the revit version of what I am trying to do and a good option thanks Scott!...

....However I am having problems using it, as others also appear to have had (see post below)

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=74374&highlight=beam+system+tagging

Is this something that is missing or am I once again doing something wrong?

kurk
2008-05-28, 05:12 AM
Update: Found out on that previous linked thread that the Beam System Tagging should not have been put in the help file!? I guess it was meant for Revit Structure.

Another workaround I have come across is using an aligned dim to two random points across the beam system, create a dim style to give no line extensions, relevant arrows and replace dim value with text (new feature) and voila (see image attached).

Kind of provides a similar graphical result even though not very 'revit like' once again.

Another option suggested is to create a line based family with diagonal 'tick' to coincide with joists?. A few options to consider anyway even though none seem perfect.

Time to get some chargeable work done instead!

Cheers