PDA

View Full Version : Why can't you upgrade your file to 2009? - I DID!

johnr.116880
2008-05-28, 09:35 PM
Workset enabled project.
5 levels
1.2 million SF per floor
Structural is a separate Linked File (Foundation, Steel Columns, Beams, Joists & Floors)
Site is a separate Linked File
~140 MB file (210 MB when not compressed and being used with links loaded)

I did all of the standard stuff to prepare my 2008 file for upgrading to 2009.

1. Backup the original File (Just in CASE!!! CYA!!!)
2. Open in 2008 with Audit and Detach from Central.
3. Purge Unused!
4. Uload all Links using Managed Links dialog.
5. Only have a single View open (I have a drafting view with text only just for saving).
6. Save the file with Compaction turned on.
7. Open Revit 2009 and then open the File.

...tried to upgrade the entire project file with no luck...

I even made sure there were no WARNINGS!
3.5. Fix all warnings

Then I tried another thing.
4.5. Removed all links.

After racking my brain against the 3 24" monitors that are on my desk and tring to upgrade a number of times, I sent the file to AutoDesk. 2 weeks + and they still have no answer on the file.

I tried a couple more times, thinking maybe I needed to reboot, or close all my other programs, etc. etc.

I figured there has to be some object that is stopping it, it would get to about 75% and then crash everytime. So I thought... mmm... what if I took all the 3D objects out of the equation? I have been working with linked files and groups and relinking and binding for a while now, and have had a lot of success with taking items out of the project and bringing them back in as if nothing ever happened, i.e. wall top and base constraints the same, so I figured I would try this approch!

2.5. Grouped logically related parts of geometry together (did I mention this project is approximately 5,000,000 sf?). Well, that meant I created a ****-load of Groups: then saved the groups out as Links!

I repeated this a number of times; until only Levels, Grids and Annotations, Views, Sheets realistically everything shy of the actual building, existed in the original file.

Opened Revit 2009...tried to upgrade the now building-less project file with luck... (Yes I said WITH luck, now we are getting somewhere). Hip Hip Hizaahh! Hip Hip Hizaahh!

8. Upgrade each of the linked group files, one-by-one (with no Crashing)! Hip Hip Hizaahh!

9. Re-Linked all the Grouped Linked Files into the new 2009 main file, Bind them, and finally Ungroup them and...

It @*$#ing worked!!! ... Relief!... Hip Hip Hizaahh!
( I now have to replace 2 of my 3 24" LCD monitors oops)

So here are the steps that I took and in the final order.

1. Backup the original File
2. Open in 2008 with Audit and Detach from Central.
3. Grouped logically related 3D parts of geometry together then convert to Links!
4. Repeat step 3 until only Levels, Grids and Annotations, Views, Sheets are left.
5. Unload all Links using Managed Links dialog (Remove all links is better).
6. Purge Unused!
7. Fix all warnings
8. Only have a single "TEXT" Drafting View open.
6. Save the file with Compaction turned on.
7. Open Revit 2009 and then open the File to upgrade it.

I hope this helps someone else out there!
John Raiten
Gensler
Las Vegas, NV

patricks
2008-05-28, 10:02 PM
wow, that is one crazy process. Any idea how long the final process took (not the total process, just your final steps you listed at the bottom)?

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-05-28, 10:23 PM
Nice first post John:shock:
Doesn't sound like a walk in the park but at least it finally worked.
I can say I've never had any problems upgrading a file from one release to the next but I guess I can also say I've never had to upgrade a project that large either.
Thanks for posting. :beer: