PDA

View Full Version : AutoCAD SD-steel model export to Revit

tanks
2008-05-29, 06:14 AM
I try many ways export a model from RCAD-steel (AutoCAD SD-steel) to Revit, but without success.
If I save AutoCAD SD-steel model as AutoCAD dwg file, and import to Revit.
During import Revit say:"Some ACIS objects could not be imported. To import them, use AutoCAD to convert them into polymesh objects and reimport."

In Revit model I can`t make a section from this impoted model, I can`t explode it.

Maybe someone know the way how this export made correctly.

I wish made the system, where my construction model is usable in architect Revit file- show correct sections, callouts etc.

m20roxxers
2008-05-30, 05:26 AM
Tanks

At the moment while you can use the ASD to link your file back into Revit, it still has a long way to go before the system will include the ability to cut anything beyond simple sections.

I have thought about the possibility of making the dwg ACIS model a generic or steel family which will then allow you the ability to add and remove details from the 3D model to more acccuratley build your 3D sections though I am still in the midst of firguring out the best ways to do this.

The recommendation I got from Autodesk was convert the model into ACIS model or you can export the model if you dont want to use the tool provided by ASD although this has worked fine for me so far.
It really depends on what your trying to do on how well ASD works, I have found it has been easy to build the connections and setup your template views in ASD and transfer the layouts and 3D model into Revit, I know it essentially creates 2 files but it seems to work fine and you really only need to bring in the analytical model in order to create changes.
Creating templates of connections seems to be the way to go for updating the information but by no means is this process instantaneous, although you get alot more data out of your steel model.

While there are no imperial standards it's database driven objects that can be added to and modified in Access so a simple tour through those can quickly allow you to build up and create your imperial members, further modification really depends on what your trying to do, but I haven't found too much of the process daunting.

tanks
2008-05-30, 07:07 AM
Once I get a AutoCAD file from "X-steel" or other product.
There all elements after importing in Revit and partial explode shows as seperated elements as "import symbol".

m20roxxers
2008-05-30, 03:11 PM
Yeah

It's due to 3D Cad files can't be exploded in anyway or they lose they're 3D information.

If you want you can break them down into individual dwg's though this would be time consuming.

brett.burling
2008-06-10, 08:28 AM
Any ideas where I would find the database of members on my system?

i would like to rename the members. ie. change "UB 610x101" to "610UB101"

thanks,

Brett

tanks
2008-06-10, 10:12 AM
I think, that not possible.
Robot millennium have a "section database editor" where section name created from first letters and dimensions.

m20roxxers
2008-06-11, 10:00 AM
Yeah it's pretty easy to add elements to the database as long as you have something that can change database files.

The files are found here:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Robobat\Common Data\Data\

In there is a couple of different folders of which you can make changes to the database to get what you need out of the system, it also contains the cad files though becareful you know what your doing before messing with those.

The data still reads from Robobat members even though the program is ASD, they are designed to work together so until or if Autodesk restructure the system this is where you will find it.