PDA

View Full Version : A Road Tool, Re-confurable key menu, and SketchUp ??

Richard McCarthy
2003-07-30, 02:07 PM
1. A Road Tool, that you just define the width (and also cross section shape) and draw the path/spline on the plan view, and it will automatically be attached and conform to the terrain. (Sort of like the tools they have in Command and Conquer General Editor)

2. Re-confurable key menu. This is desperately needed. Every other app worth it's salt have it, why revit doesn't??

3. Draw along surface spline tool, so you can "extrude" shapes out of terrain, eg. fences, post, etc.

4. SketchUp like interface - I must be dreaming about this every night... just basically let you draw lines in 3D space that snap to the 3D axis and form 3D faces. Revit's family editor badly need this for easier family creation. Also a more powerful polygon tools (like from MAX) are needed too for more complex editing/object creation.

-RM

janunson
2003-07-30, 03:08 PM
about number 2... I believe that's already there (you mean the quick key commands, right?)

check C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit 5.1\Program\KeyboardShortcuts.txt.

Richard McCarthy
2003-08-02, 02:13 PM
That's a the horrible way to edit your keyboard short cut. Like some unfinished backend interface, looking for that particular files EVERY DAMN TIME I need to reconfigure some key. Why can't autodesk write a proper menu for it? SketchUp have it, most apps have it, even GAMES have an easy to use and definable key menu. WE DON'T want to hack around a txt file to get it done.

:evil:

:)

Richard McCarthy
2003-08-02, 02:18 PM
I just remember, another thing,
JOURNAL playback needs to have a fast-forward and rewind button, or a button to click through each steps then pause, AND a pause button.
Also a menu for history (like photoshop) where you can click the steps back or just scroll through the command list. Maybe even support multi-path history..... (I am dreaming here now)

jbalding48677
2003-08-02, 08:53 PM
That's a the horrible way to edit your keyboard short cut. Like some unfinished backend interface, looking for that particular files EVERY DAMN TIME I need to reconfigure some key. Why can't autodesk write a proper menu for it? SketchUp have it, most apps have it, even GAMES have an easy to use and definable key menu. WE DON'T want to hack around a txt file to get it done.

It seems to me that this could be integrated somewhat easily, it just needs to be prioritized at Revit. Your wish has been noted.

Now, there is really no need to get so angry about it. Just ask and move on.

Steve_Stafford
2003-08-02, 09:15 PM
This has never bothered me, but then I guess I was used to it since there were many such files requiring upkeep with that "other" software.

I think a "nicer" way to add your own would be nice, but not a priority for me.

Someone recently compiled a shortcut file that has virtually all the possible commands in it...you just add shortcuts to any commands you'd like and you're done. Save a copy and after an upgrade pop it back in...

Want to see it for your self? Click ME (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=599) It's the one with the BD prefix.

janunson
2003-08-06, 05:28 PM

wimp.

:wink: :)

gregcashen
2003-08-06, 06:26 PM
I have made a shortcut to this file in my projects folder and can get to it pretty easily. I don't find it that hard to work with...that said, an alias editor ala autocad express tools would be neato.

Richard McCarthy
2003-09-18, 03:14 AM
hehe, I just like to try out the "evil" icon from time to time :)

hand471037
2003-09-18, 03:35 AM
A feature that I loved from Truespace is that you can edit the shortcuts by either going to a shortcut .txt file (ala Revit & AutoCAD) -or- (and this was the cool part) simply hit 'alt' & 'F2' (or something like that), select a tool, then hit your choosen keyboard combo and BAM! shortcut established for that tool/setting. It was great having this shortcut-defining 'prefix' for it made it trival to set shortcuts on the fly... if you did something more than three times in a row, you'd simply set a shortcut and get on with your work. it saved these shortcuts to the .txt file too, so that you could go back later and ditch them/rework them...

Vincent Valentijn
2003-09-18, 07:50 AM
I just remember, another thing,
JOURNAL playback needs to have a fast-forward and rewind button, or a button to click through each steps then pause, AND a pause button.
Also a menu for history (like photoshop) where you can click the steps back or just scroll through the command list. Maybe even support multi-path history..... (I am dreaming here now)

Together with your keyboardshortcut comment.. I guess you're quite right to think it's a bit 'different' that such super-simple things aren't put in interfaces that make these functions seem more than they in fact are. [editing your own txt files for normal users, belongs to the computer-darkages.. the pre-windows-era]
But I REALLY LIKE this myself!! haha :lol: it gives a feel of being a pro 'hacking around in a txt file' eventhough a child could do these things, they -are- manual and -do- require a puny bit of knowhow to execute. My proposal is to keep things like this and not to make silly little interfaces for every little customizable setting. Revit isn't a part of Microsof Office, it's a professional tool..

Richard McCarthy
2003-10-07, 11:35 AM
LOL! :D
Yes, DARK AGE!!
This is 2003 now, 2003 !!! we are 2 years in advance than 2001 and we are suppose to have flying cars, portable cold fusion generator, and talking A.I. computer (that also plotting your demise)... talk about dissappointment when I finally got here... :(

No voice AI interface to interact with...not only that, I am back to pre-1990... hacking around a text file just to get something to work....

I am NOT saying to totally drop the short-cut-text-file. That can still be retained as some sort of file for migration purpose, and other ppl above who likes to feel like hax0r (haha, just kidding :D ) once in a while, But a front end would be nice :)

:D

Well, the main thing that really attract me to Revit first is the user interface, it's such streamline, efficient, easy to use (and fast to get up to speed) interface. It just seems odd that such great interface have some of these "archic" pre-Windows Era interface that you have to deal with :)
I am not complaining.. hehe.. just wishing .. dreaming .....

It also got me thinking. Nowadays, all the CAD/3D technologies and unique features are all very similar, or very quickly to be copy by the competitor. The only difference seperating the packages are the interface in which user use to be more efficient at their work. (VectorWorks, VIZ4, autoCAD, ArchiCAD, Chief Architect..etc etc) In my personal opinion, a great package usually garners a large user base because of the interface, the ease of use, and flexibility, and LASTLY the technology and stability in which it offers. An good example is Houdini. I have seen demonstration of this package personally, and have try it out, it's a VERY VERY powerful package, (VERY similar to revit, very parametric oriented, every solid is parametrically generated and can be later modified, every other attribute is parametric...) BUT, as powerful as it is, there is very VERY tiny user base for this particular package. Most school doesn't teach it, and nobody I know advocate for this particular package. Why? because it's a very hard package to learn, complex and inefficient user interface made it even harder to get up to speed. The situation can best be describe as a WWII TANK fitted with couple of Porsch engines, it will run fast because of powerful engines, but because of the "inteface" you won't run as fast or as agile as a LADA car. :)

So, my suggestion to autodesk for Revit is.. work MORE on the interface.... we want great features, but also ways to maximise our design flare and workflow.

[quote:746297afd3="Richard McCarthy"]I just remember, another thing,

Together with your keyboardshortcut comment.. I guess you're quite right to think it's a bit 'different' that such super-simple things aren't put in interfaces that make these functions seem more than they in fact are. [editing your own txt files for normal users, belongs to the computer-darkages.. the pre-windows-era]
But I REALLY LIKE this myself!! haha :lol: it gives a feel of being a pro 'hacking around in a txt file' eventhough a child could do these things, they -are- manual and -do- require a puny bit of knowhow to execute. My proposal is to keep things like this and not to make silly little interfaces for every little customizable setting. Revit isn't a part of Microsof Office, it's a professional tool..[/quote:746297afd3]

Vincent Valentijn
2003-10-07, 12:11 PM
LOL! :D
Yes, DARK AGE!!

I catch your drift.. I do think though there is soo much to be done in Revit to make it better, and changing the short-cut method is very low on my list.. eventhough one would think it should take a programmer just a day to change (if the structure is any good).
But you're right, the user interface is very important, specially to new users and it's Revit's strongpoint! :D The initial learningcurve's just great.. And yes.. still the interface could be much better, sureley (always moving forward right?) look at stuff like Sketchup or the way you can draw stuff in Macromedia software (also very intuitive but looses nothing in precision)
anyway.. still not on my top10 in the wishlist

Richard McCarthy
2003-10-07, 03:24 PM
What about the road tool I suggested? nobody has any comment? :(

I thought Revit really REALLY need a nice easy to use road tool, it will be an GREAT asset to the already awesome Site tools.

Steve_Stafford
2003-10-07, 03:28 PM
A road command that lets you sketch a path and then creates a topo split that follows the grade etc would be nice. Somehow it would need to tied to the grading feature??

mlgatzke
2003-10-07, 06:39 PM
Ooooooo, that does sound nice. Somebody hand me a napkin, I seem to be drooling.

Richard McCarthy
2004-05-02, 11:53 PM
More than nice I would say :)
I mean, to split the terrain serveral times just to get a few "road-looking" marking in there isn't very efficient.
Also, I think a lot of times, Architect nowadays are not just drawing houses anymore, "Master-planning" become essential and that involves a lot of surrounding of your building and site. Roads, curbs, footpaths, pedestrian crossing, pedestrian refuge, bridges (!) all kinda become important. That's why it's inclusion become essential.

Also the "parking" tool isn't 3D either, so when you put external parking space on the terrain, sometimes it gets obscure if the angle isn't right. I think a lot of site/terrain tool function HAVE to be conform to the terrain for it to work properly.

J. Grouchy
2004-05-04, 07:16 PM
2. Re-confurable key menu. This is desperately needed. Every other app worth it's salt have it, why revit doesn't??

At the very least it would be nice if, every time we get an upgrade (every few months), we wouldn't have to redo the shortcuts. It's really a small thing when you think about it, but it's just something we shouldn't have to worry about at all. They get so many things right otherwise!

gregcashen
2004-05-04, 07:17 PM
You don't have to. Just save the old file and put it in your new Revit Program Folder.

J. Grouchy
2004-05-04, 07:23 PM
You don't have to. Just save the old file and put it in your new Revit Program Folder.

I know...but again, why should I have to do even that. Something so simple...

gregcashen
2004-05-04, 07:29 PM
[quote:b45875884a="gregcashen"]You don't have to. Just save the old file and put it in your new Revit Program Folder.

I know...but again, why should I have to do even that. Something so simple...[/quote:b45875884a]

jeez.