PDA

View Full Version : Window Legend

greg.gebert978266
2008-05-29, 04:00 PM
In our office we typically do not use window schedules, we draw the window elevations and put the dimensions and additional information there (see example 1 attachment). I am assuming you would use the legend function to do the same thing in Revit. I want to add our standard window symbol to the legend. Is it possible to tag the window in the legend in order to use the same symbol and #, or do you have to draw out the symbol and manually enter the #? If you could use tags in the legend it would allow you to update #'s in the plan and have your legends update automatically, or Visa versa.

patricks
2008-05-29, 04:19 PM
At this point, you cannot tag legend components.

I have a Keynote annotation that looks the same as our Window Tag annotation for use in legends.

Scott Womack
2008-05-29, 05:04 PM
In our office we typically do not use window schedules, we draw the window elevations and put the dimensions and additional information there (see example 1 attachment). I am assuming you would use the legend function to do the same thing in Revit. I want to add our standard window symbol to the legend. Is it possible to tag the window in the legend in order to use the same symbol and #, or do you have to draw out the symbol and manually enter the #? If you could use tags in the legend it would allow you to update #'s in the plan and have your legends update automatically, or Visa versa.

To answer your question, no you cannot tag an item in the legend. Also, the instance parameters of a window (or any other object) are not accessible in a legend. Only type based parameters will be used by a legend.

greg.gebert978266
2008-05-29, 05:55 PM
At this point, you cannot tag legend components.

I have a Keynote annotation that looks the same as our Window Tag annotation for use in legends.

So do you tag it by element or user? It only lets me tag by material.

Chris DiSunno
2008-05-29, 08:04 PM
Why not make a call out on the elevation. Turn everything off except for the window and detail/dimension as you see fit. Then if you change a window it updates. You can tag them both and hide the refrence to the callout on the elevation if it is too confusing.

Adam Mac
2008-05-30, 03:28 AM

Excellent idea.... thanks for that!
Short of being able to tag an element in a Legend view (which, by the way, is what we would all LOVE) - that's a brilliant idea!!

:)

ejburrell67787
2008-05-30, 08:22 AM
Why not make a call out on the elevation. Turn everything off except for the window and detail/dimension as you see fit. Then if you change a window it updates. You can tag them both and hide the refrence to the callout on the elevation if it is too confusing.
That is true, and it is what I used to do. However, the elevation is of a specific window instance whereas a legend shows a window type. With an elevation if you swap the window type or move the window location your elevation view needs updating, not so with a legend. (although other aspects of a legend are manual) So we use legends now with some text under each one.

greg.gebert978266
2008-05-30, 12:35 PM
I appreciate everyone's ideas. There wasn't a bad suggestion. I just have to ask the rest of the users what they prefer. It is in the wish list. It shouldn't be to hard for Autodesk to add , they already have the structural version creating column schedules why not legends?

Scott Womack
2008-05-30, 12:45 PM
I appreciate everyone's ideas. There wasn't a bad suggestion. I just have to ask the rest of the users what they prefer. It is in the wish list. It shouldn't be to hard for Autodesk to add , they already have the structural version creating column schedules why not legends?

Be careful what you wish for. There are numerous issues with the Structural Column Schedule, which is VERY restrictive, and rigid. I prefer to use the legend methodology. Actually, we are looking into a true window schedule, since using sustainable design we find ourselves changing glazing types, and window treatments based upon the face/orientation of the building. Using a full schedule, although that has never been the way this firm has ever done it before will also provide us with the abilities to schedule items much more clearly that we have ever done before, with little or no more work.

greg.gebert978266
2008-05-30, 12:52 PM
Be careful what you wish for. There are numerous issues with the Structural Column Schedule, which is VERY restrictive, and rigid. I prefer to use the legend methodology. Actually, we are looking into a true window schedule, since using sustainable design we find ourselves changing glazing types, and window treatments based upon the face/orientation of the building. Using a full schedule, although that has never been the way this firm has ever done it before will also provide us with the abilities to schedule items much more clearly that we have ever done before, with little or no more work.

I did notice that you can't do anything with the column schedule. We have on some of our larger more complex projects used both a window schedule and window elevations just to help the bid process. I'm going to have to put all of the options on the table and see which way people think it will be easier. My biggest issue is convincing the PA/PM on how to do things (the PA/PM do not draw at all here). My way of thought is that the PA/PM make the decisions on how the set looks and what information is conveyed. But, the users should be making the decisions on the process of putting that information in the set. So I am stuck in the middle.

Scott Womack
2008-05-30, 12:55 PM
I understand your pain. I'[m lucky in that I am a PA/PM on the majority of the projects I'm involved in. Here it is a firm "standard" based issue. The firm is over 120 years old, and VERY slow to adapt to the changes Revit would seem to indicate. I keep preaching to stop "fighting" the way we have ALWAYS put a set of drawings together, and learn that it is just acommunication tool to convey to the bidders/contractors what we intend for them to build.

greg.gebert978266
2008-05-30, 01:26 PM
I understand your pain. I'[m lucky in that I am a PA/PM on the majority of the projects I'm involved in. Here it is a firm "standard" based issue. The firm is over 120 years old, and VERY slow to adapt to the changes Revit would seem to indicate. I keep preaching to stop "fighting" the way we have ALWAYS put a set of drawings together, and learn that it is just acommunication tool to convey to the bidders/contractors what we intend for them to build.

That is a difficult thing for some to understand. It seems like the industry is so resistant to change, and I feel that is hurting us a lot. We are just now really moving to BIM as an industry, but the reality is that the industrial industry has been using information modeling for 15-20 years now. Look at CATIA. Frank Gehry took the capabilities of CATIA and adopted them for architectural use.

ejburrell67787
2008-05-30, 01:31 PM
We almost always do two windows schedules - the first lists every window by number and then all the associated specification information about it including a window type reference, the second we do as a legend to show window elevations by type.

See attached images (sheet extracts only) ...

greg.gebert978266
2008-05-30, 01:33 PM
We almost always do two windows schedules - the first lists every window by number and then all the associated specification information about it including a window type reference, the second we do as a legend to show window elevations by type.

See attached images (sheet extracts only) ...

That's a good idea, I will present that also.