PDA

View Full Version : Inserting Drafting Views from a File

ecoley
2008-05-29, 10:20 PM
I have set up a number of files with standard detail drawings created in drafting views. (Roof details, partition types, etc.)

When I import these drawings by using Insert from file and selecting the views that I want in my project... I keep getting a warning when one of the detail components from these standard details already exists in my file. It then re-names the detail components and I get multiple copies in my project.

Is there any way to avoid this?

Chad Smith
2008-05-30, 02:26 AM
Sorry for the obvious question - But do you already have that drafting view already in the project or template file?
If you can upload your detail file and the file you are loading it into it will help a lot in debugging this.

On a side note, it would be a nice feature if we could have the option to overwrite the existing drafting view, like what families already do.

Scott Womack
2008-05-30, 11:05 AM
He is talking about all of the 2D Detail component families that reside in each of these drafting views. There is no way I'm aware of, and it is painfull to clean these up, it must usually be done prior to purging the file, to make it marginally easier. I wish Revit would provide the ability to use the 2D families that are already within the project, rather than renaming each family/types within a family. This adds unecessary file size/performance hit. You get this message when loading a family from library, why not when inserting a view?

I recognise that it is probably that different versions of these detail components could be in each of these views. But some sort of automated replacement should be possible.

ecoley
2008-05-30, 01:38 PM
That's a real bummer that there is no way to avoid this...

patricks
2008-05-30, 06:31 PM
Yeah I think it creates a copy of the detail component if there is even the slightest difference between the one in the project and the one in the detail you're loading.

It is a pain. If I ever get around to creating a detail library, I'm going to try to remember to always re-load any detail component that I edit.

truevis
2008-06-01, 03:55 PM
Sounds similar to the problem when binding links. One gets a new family if a family with the same name already is in the project.

Would be a VERY useful option -- "Reuse family names on import."

darickb
2009-04-07, 07:55 PM
check out these similar post, just trying to increase the chance of getting an answer.
http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=723071&tstart=0