PDA

View Full Version : move the stick symbol in a lumber family

johk
2008-06-01, 05:48 AM
I want to modify the lumber family to have the stick symbol off the centre line of the family..
The reason being is that i am going to use it as a pole plate and the stick symbol is to close to the wall (it is hard to see the pole plate). I opened the lumber family and re saved with a different name but when I go through the different views I can not find the symbolic line that represent the stick symbol. What am I missing?

Thanks
Jonas

David Harrington
2008-06-02, 11:44 AM
I seem to recall that the symbolic line isn't in the family. It is generated by the model object, it's class as an object that has a symbolic representation, and the Structural Settings that control the line setback.

jmctamney
2008-06-02, 02:10 PM
Why not add a symbolic line to the family and lock it to the reference planes that control the linework of the lumber. We did something similar to our bar joist family to show extended ends in plan.

David Harrington
2008-06-03, 10:53 AM
JM's solution should work. Cool.

bdb
2008-06-04, 11:45 PM
Hi guys,

In relation to this idea of symbolic stick representation in a family, is it possible to delete or control the visibility of the coarse symbolic stick representation in a family?

Reason being i have setup a symbolic stick so i can adjust the end extents of the member in plan though the existing (original) symbolic stick representation in coarse view is still visible.

I would also like to remove the original in cases where i have two beams close together in plan yet the symoblic representation is to close (100mm required at 1:100 for our standards).

Looking forward to your ideas.

Regards,
Brock

johk
2008-06-05, 12:25 AM
Is there a way to "turn off" the original stick symbol?
When I add a symbolic line to the family the original stick symbol is still there which means I have 2 lines in course view. I could go through and use the line tool but I was hoping it would be a more "sophisticated" solution.

Jonas

johk
2008-06-05, 12:26 AM
Reading Brocks post I believe we have the same problem. Sorry I didn't read your post before I replied.
Cheers
Jonas

johk
2008-06-05, 12:44 AM
I had a look at the family ...
In the family go to Settings/Family Category and Parameters. It is an option for Symbolic Representation to either be based on family or project settings. If you ad your own Symbolic line it should be set to "from family".

I hope this helps

Cheers
Jonas

TheViking
2008-06-08, 02:32 PM
To turn off the symbolic line generated by Revit you need to change the Family Parameter, Symbolic Representation to From Family.

Then you can create the line using the Sybolic Lines tool. Make sure the type is set to Stick Symbols.

These lines will not participate in joins the way the Revit Created lines do.