PDA

View Full Version : Converting from 2008 to 2009

greg.gebert978266
2008-06-02, 01:57 PM
We are going to be converting from 2008 to 2009 soon. Has anyone ran into any issues when converting a central file and local files in the middle of a project?

DaveP
2008-06-02, 03:53 PM
I've done almost two dozen projects in the last few weeks.
I've seen a few miscellaneous errors, but almost all of them were pre-existing condidtions.
Two or three time a element was deleted & a Dimension had to be deleted, but all in all, it's been a pretty smooth operation.

greg.gebert978266
2008-06-02, 03:55 PM
I've done almost two dozen projects in the last few weeks.
I've seen a few miscellaneous errors, but almost all of them were pre-existing condidtions.
Two or three time a element was deleted & a Dimension had to be deleted, but all in all, it's been a pretty smooth operation.

Does the sequence of converting matter? i.e. central file first or local files first?

Andre Carvalho
2008-06-02, 04:01 PM
Does the sequence of converting matter? i.e. central file first or local files first?

Do only the central file and then recreate local files.

Andre Carvalho

greg.gebert978266
2008-06-02, 04:05 PM
Do only the central file and then recreate local files.

Andre Carvalho

That makes sense. Does this sequence make sense?

1. Everyone save final changes to central and exit Revit 2008
2. Everyone delete thier Revit 2008 local file
3. Convert central file to 2009 and save
4. Everyone copy the central file locally and rename to indicate local file

Scott Womack
2008-06-02, 04:07 PM
That makes sense. Does this sequence make sense?

1. Everyone save final changes to central and exit Revit 2008
2. Everyone delete thier Revit 2008 local file
3. Convert central file to 2009 and save
4. Everyone copy the central file locally and rename to indicate local file

It really is not necessary to delete the local files. You are'nt changing the name of the central file are you? Once the central file is saved in the newer version, it is impossible for the locals to be saved back to the newer version of the central file.

Andre Carvalho
2008-06-02, 04:10 PM
Also, keep a copy of your Central File on version 2008 somewhere, "just in case"... :)

Andre Carvalho

greg.gebert978266
2008-06-02, 04:11 PM
It really is not necessary to delete the local files. You are'nt changing the name of the central file are you? Once the central file is saved in the newer version, it is impossible for the locals to be saved back to the newer version of the central file.

I just thought that if everyone re-copies the central file over locally then it gets rid of the possibility of different versions on each person's computer. I guess revit forces you to save locally when you exit and you can reload from central later if your not totally up to date.

Scott Womack
2008-06-02, 04:13 PM
I just thought that if everyone re-copies the central file over locally then it gets rid of the possibility of different versions on each person's computer. I guess revit forces you to save locally when you exit and you can reload from central later if your not totally up to date.

We just copy (via Windows) the central file down to our computer, and add our initials into the file name. I guess, thinking about it, at that point we do erase the local, because Windows will not allow you to have two files of the same name.

greg.gebert978266
2008-06-02, 04:24 PM
We just copy (via Windows) the central file down to our computer, and add our initials into the file name. I guess, thinking about it, at that point we do erase the local, because Windows will not allow you to have two files of the same name.

I kind of thought we were on the same page, just thinking of it two different ways. Thanks everyone for your help.

DaveP
2008-06-02, 04:37 PM
Watch out for Linked files as well.
If you've got three files all Linked into each other, Revit will want to temporarily upgrade each of the Links until all of them are upgraded.

I found the simplest way was to rename all of the Central Files (put an X in front of the name or something). Then Open one Central file in 2009 (Detached seems to work best). Revit will tell you it can't find the Links and Unload them. SaveAs to the original name, Close and go on to the next Central. Eventually, you'll have all of the Centrals upgraded and Linked.

greg.gebert978266
2008-06-02, 05:43 PM
Watch out for Linked files as well.
If you've got three files all Linked into each other, Revit will want to temporarily upgrade each of the Links until all of them are upgraded.

I found the simplest way was to rename all of the Central Files (put an X in front of the name or something). Then Open one Central file in 2009 (Detached seems to work best). Revit will tell you it can't find the Links and Unload them. SaveAs to the original name, Close and go on to the next Central. Eventually, you'll have all of the Centrals upgraded and Linked.

That is a good point, I wasn't thinking about the linked stuff.