PDA

View Full Version : Sloped railing

ron.sanpedro
2008-06-02, 09:34 PM
We have an auditorium condition where a floor 'steps' down, and we need a railing on the wall that follows the overall slope, not the individual flat floor segments. The only thing I have come up with is a ramp that is used to host the rail, then hidden. As far as I can find, there is no slope arrow or start/stop offset approach. What a Monday, I am getting stumped on everything I do today! ;)

Anyone have a better approach?

Thanks,
Gordon

Calvn_Swing
2008-06-02, 11:35 PM
Gordon,

We've created some custom component families to handle these conditions. We use a generic model floor or wall hosted template (depending on the situation) and basically write a little formula here and there to make it work. Then we place it on the bottom step or on the wall and fill out the rest. Typically I make these all type parameters so that you can set up a condition and use those type values for all similar conditions.

We really want this to be a special equipment family so that it will schedule right, but of course Autodesk thinks that specialty equipment shouldn't cut in section (???) and so it screws up our graphics... Thanks guys. So, we leave them as generic models.

Andre Carvalho
2008-06-02, 11:42 PM
Have you thought about creating that part of the auditorium floor as a huge custom stair by boundaries, where the treads have the floor thickness? Or just draw the same stair and hide it moving to another workset... It might work.

Andre Carvalho

Scott Womack
2008-06-03, 10:54 AM
We really want this to be a special equipment family so that it will schedule right, but of course Autodesk thinks that specialty equipment shouldn't cut in section (???) and so it screws up our graphics... Thanks guys. So, we leave them as generic models.

Create the Generic components, then nest them into a blank Specialty Equipment family. That way they'll schedule correctly, and since there is a generic model inside, the generic model will still cut correctly.