PDA

View Full Version : Render Time

kristina.bollin596153
2008-06-04, 02:58 AM
I have imported a revit fbx file to 3ds max design and the rendering time is extremely slow, even when rendering a small region of a view. The only lights in it are the sun and sky so I can't imagine what is causing it to be so slow. Any suggestions on how to make the file lighter without losing any of my model?

loydg
2008-06-04, 12:44 PM
Kristina,

A couple things that may help us help you:

1) what are your GI setting in MR?
2) attach a rendering for "darkness" discussion. Could be you gamma settings or soemthing in MR

loydg
2008-06-04, 01:03 PM
Oh! Have you done anything with exposure controls in the Environment panel?

dellis
2008-06-04, 02:20 PM
Image sampling would cause a major hit in render time as well....post your settings and maybe a render.

kristina.bollin596153
2008-06-04, 07:56 PM
Thank you both for the replies...
The GI was not enabled the first time, but for the attached rendering I enabled it and set the max number of photons per sample to 100. That made it a little faster...
I also turned the final gather off
I don't know much about what the gamma settings do, but for this rendering I enabled Gamma/LUT Correction and the Gamma is set at 1.8
I've set the exposure control to mr Photographic because I'm using mrSun and mrSky, so the shutter speed is 512, aperture f8, and film speed 100
I set the time to 4pm and the location is correct, but the sky is turning out really dark gray - why is that?
I understand the exposure control, but what are the GI and Gamma settings for?

kristina.bollin596153
2008-06-04, 07:58 PM
The jpg i just attached is way darker than my actual rendering...what happened? i'm going to try to re-render the scene...

loydg
2008-06-05, 02:06 PM
Kristina,

I think that the darkness issue is a combination of both your gamma and exposure setting. I've uploaded a screengrab of the gamam settings I typically use on all projects. I doo, however, use V-ray and have presets saved to play nice with my gamma settings.

As to the exposure controls, it sounds like you have the right one. It just may require a little dialing.

Steve_Bennett
2008-06-13, 02:42 AM
Also, if you have any artificial lights in the scene in revit they will come thru into max - be sure they are not or you will experience really long render times.