PDA

View Full Version : Revit --> DWG --> Revit

spencer.67965
2004-09-13, 08:08 PM
Hello All,

Just a quick question. I am currently using AutoCAD 2005. Bear with me I don't quite know how to best explain this.

Can one do the following conversion process.

Revit --> AutoCAD 2005 --> Revit

I work for a Structural Engineer we make red-line changes to CAD Documents (i.e. Schedules, Footing and Foundation marks, Shear-Walls and Hold-Downs, Etc), then we send the drawings back to our clients who then plot finals, bring them to us and we stamp them. Is the process going to work without us purchasing Revit?

Thanks in advance,

Spencer

------------------
AutoCAD 2005

Steve_Stafford
2004-09-13, 08:11 PM
So who is using Revit? Your architecture client? They are sending you dwg files, yes?

spencer.67965
2004-09-13, 08:37 PM
Our Client will be sending us the Revit Drawings, I only have AutoCAD 2005, I am assuming that they will send me dwg's.

Revit (Client) --> AutoCAD 2005 (Me) --> Revit (Client)

Thanks

sbrown
2004-09-13, 08:45 PM
no, what goes back to the client will be a dwg that they can insert into their revit model, it will be just 2d lines or 3d faces, depending on what you do in autocad. But there is no way to convert acad 2005 to Revit.

barathd
2004-09-13, 08:48 PM
Spencer:

You may or may not be happy. What I mean to say is that when the Revit model is converted to an Autocad dwg all the 3d linework collapses on itself. When you think you are picking the middle of a line segment you really don't know what you are picking. I have used the Autocad "overkill" command to reduce some of the linework with some success.

Good luck.

spencer.67965
2004-09-13, 08:48 PM
Thanks

Spencer

Steve_Stafford
2004-09-13, 09:24 PM
Revit (Client) --> AutoCAD 2005 (Me) --> Revit (Client)Using the defaults you will get AutoCAD 2004 dwg files from your architect. You'll return files that are saved as 2005. The architect will use Revit to import the 2005 file.

The typical workflow (from our perspective) is you'll use the architects plans as an underlay (external reference) making no changes to the underlying file, adding your design to your own host file. You then supply the architect with your file/work so they can import and link it to their Revit model plans to coordinate structure either by modeling some or all of the structure as the design conditions dictate.

A structural Revit option will be available in the near future I believe so you may want to consider that as a possible route to collaborate with firms using Revit when it becomes available.

The Revit exported plans do create short segments and in some cases overlapping lines. If exported from a view using wireframe you'll get the collapsed data that Dick described. A warning message usually accompanies an export that happens to be using wireframe encouraging you to use hidden line. None of this should affect you adversely if you follow the process I described above. The overkill command in AutoCAD does a decent job on these issues if you must work directly on these files.

hand471037
2004-09-13, 09:26 PM
If the client knows there Revit & has AutoCAD they can minimise the impact on the consultants a lot. Whenever I send anything out as DWG to a consultant, I:

1. Export from Revit a Sheet to a DWG, making certain all views are hidden line views and/or shaded with edges (this minimises a lot of overlaped lines). I put this file in a new folder on my desktop.
2. Open the main DWG file, and Bind all the x-refs (we use a lot of linked models, and each one comes in as it's own x-ref in Autocad, which is great if you're gonna be working in Autocad, not so great for a background for a consultant).
3. Run Overkill.
4. Run Purge, and Purge everything.
5. Save, and then do an e-transmit.

In doing this, I've yet to get any complaint from my consultants. But many people when they are first using Revit will export to DWG without making certain they are exporting Hidden Line, and subsuquently export DWG's with lots of overlapping lines.

barathd
2004-09-14, 02:19 AM
Steve:

What will this structural module look like - "architectural or structural flavoring? I for one hope it is more structural than architectural. Its going to be a long wait - I just hope it doesn't disappoint.

Regards

Dick Barath

Steve_Stafford
2004-09-14, 03:01 AM
Revit for structural engineers as much as Revit is for Architects. I have no knowledge of specific features other than I know of "it" and who the principle product designer is. Rumors are "useless" and sometimes harmful. I do know that it is a serious product and I wish I knew or could say more. The same is true for MEP disciplines...but farther in the future...

beegee
2004-09-14, 03:04 AM
Steve:

What will this structural module look like - "architectural or structural flavoring? I for one hope it is more structural than architectural.
Hazard a good guess that it will be a robust structural module aimed squarely at that discipline.

barathd
2004-09-14, 04:45 AM
If you hunch turns out to be true BeeGee I will be in heaven. I didn't think I would ever see such a tool till the next life anyhow.

spencer.67965
2004-09-14, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all your help, it is truly appreciated.

Spencer