PDA

View Full Version : Need Rake Head windows, or a tut on how to create...

tach5
2008-06-05, 05:54 PM
Hi, new here, and been using revit for a couple months now. Love it! well, i have stumbled upon a problem, i cannot find rake head windows, anywhere. can someone point me in the right direction to get some, or point me to a tutorial on how to create a family of them. I have tried blindly to modify a window family, but i clearly don't know what i am doing. ask me to modify a bathroom fixture or something, no problem, but doors and windows are just, yikes!

thanks for any help and suggestions
Tim

patricks
2008-06-05, 06:01 PM
I'm not even sure what those are. I did a Yahoo! search and it didn't find anything related to windows, either.

tach5
2008-06-05, 06:16 PM
sorry, should have given a better secription of a rakehead. It's a transom window, that has a angled or sloped top. in the sample pic i have included, in the main big gable, the windows on each side, and the 2 on top is what i am asking about.

jeffh
2008-06-05, 06:20 PM
There is a new Families guide on our documentation page. The Families Guide has help documentation, best practices, and tutorials specifically related to family creation. You can check these out to get you started on family creation in Revit.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=11091739

The Families guide files and dataset are near the bottom of the page.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-06-06, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure if there is a specific example of a raked window in the family guide but I would suggest you look into reference lines as the basis for creating the basic shape of the window. Anytime you are looking to control angular behaviour in a family ref lines are much easier to deal with and are far more predictable than ref planes.
Check out the family guide and post back if you still need more info.
Good luck

harkeychad
2008-06-11, 03:17 PM
Here is what I do on weird shapes. Just rename it. When you get it the way you want, bring it in the project and place in a wall where you want it. Edit the wall to make it show. The bad part of this is you will not be able to schedule it correctly. I use a legend for custom windows.

Cathy Hadley
2008-06-11, 04:34 PM
Here is a window family that is just an opening... user can input roof pitch to get the angle of the window to follow ...

You will have to create the fame and glass ... using a sweep and extrusions.

Hope it helps...

Cathy

Alex Page
2008-06-25, 01:20 AM
Or...you could use an embedded curtain wall as a window....

cwhittaker
2009-05-26, 03:39 PM
Okay, I need to understand what I am doing wrong. I used Cathy's base file and began adding the frame and glazing. The frame is a profile that sweeps the perimeter which is locked with the family parameters. The glass is an extrusion which sits inside the storefront profile.

When I "flex" the parameters, the frame works fine but the glass does not flex with the sloped head.

I am very new so I must be missing something simple .......

My intent was to create a simple aluminum storefront window that I could adjust frame dimensions for width, height, and pitch of roof.

See attached file for how I screwed it up.

dzatto
2010-04-29, 01:10 PM
Did this ever get figured out? I need a raked window as well. I can't beileive Revit doesn't have one OOTB. Seems pretty common to me.