PDA

View Full Version : Can't dimension to edge of demolished wall for new opening?

patricks
2008-06-08, 11:19 PM
I have an existing wall that we will be demolishing portions of to create new cased openings and other openings for doors. So of course when I place the cased opening in the new plan, I have a dashed area of demolished wall on my demolition plan.

The problem is that I can't seem to get a dimension to attach to the edges of those openings. How am I supposed to show where and how much wall is to be removed? Must I resort to drafting lines to attach the dimensions to? How have people been handling this?

aggockel50321
2008-06-09, 01:25 PM
Seems to work here, in 2009, and phase filter set to "show all".

Do you have a different phase filter set?

patricks
2008-06-09, 02:03 PM
Yes, I am working in a demolition view, with filter set to Show Previous + Demo. Despite the fact that these openings are shown in my door schedule, I still like to show a dimension on the demolition view showing the area of existing wall that needs to come out.

I just tried changing my view to Show All, adding the dimension to the new opening, and then changing back to Show Previous + Demo, but then my dimension I just made disappeared.

Andre Carvalho
2008-06-09, 02:15 PM
Works fine here with view set to Show Previous + Demo. It was hard than usual to pick the edges to add the dmension but using TAB it worked.

Andre Carvalho

patricks
2008-06-09, 03:32 PM
See this attached file. In the Level 1 view I have dimensioned the new opening fine. In the Level 1 Demo view, I cannot get a dimension to attach to the edges of the opening as in the Level 1 view, which is what I need to show.

Andre Carvalho
2008-06-09, 04:00 PM
I see your problem now Patrick. And I also see why mine worked before. If you select Unjoin Geometry and pick the dashed wall it will work. I'm not sure if you want show the edges of the wall though...

Andre Carvalho

Mike Sealander
2008-06-09, 05:48 PM
I end up throwing little pieces of reference planes everywhere, snapping and dimension to them.

dfriesen
2008-06-09, 06:08 PM
Try using the "Edit Wall Joins" tool, and setting Display to "Don't Clean".

edit: Sorry, I see that doesn't work when it's an Opening - only if Split has been used. Nevermind.

patricks
2008-06-09, 07:52 PM
I see your problem now Patrick. And I also see why mine worked before. If you select Unjoin Geometry and pick the dashed wall it will work. I'm not sure if you want show the edges of the wall though...

Andre Carvalho

Ah now that was an easy fix!

The existing walls in my project show as solid gray, so I already had edges showing at the opening, but dashed black lines on top of the gray edge doesn't hurt at all. :)