PDA

View Full Version : many questions

raeburnmark
2004-09-14, 03:40 PM
I am a new Revit user working on my first project. So far I love it - but I do have some questions.

1. how do I make the top of a wall at an angle without having to attach it to a sloped ceiling/roof?

2. What is the best way to generate a curb? I tried making a sweep and attaching it to a toposurface but that didn't seem to work.

3. Is there a way to show a specific line pattern on the material surface? I have two situations that require this, one is a tile pattern where the grout lines need to be at specific locations; and the other is a score pattern in a concrete sidewalk.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Mark

PeterJ
2004-09-14, 04:37 PM
1 create a reference plane, attach the wall to that.

2 usually people just model the topo and drop the road surface by 100 m or whatever is required. you can always model a kerb as a grey concrete structure to give an edge to a pavement.

3 the ceramic tile is easy just select or create a model fill pattern and ascribe that to your material (through the fill pattern editor and the material properties editor respectively) you can then tab to highlight a line in the hatch surface pattern and move it to an appropriate location in an elevation view. The second is tricker, if the sidewalk/pavement is modelled as topo then topo does not support surface patterns and you have less control of render materials, you might consider a small topo hosted family that comprises a void of variable length that will cut a notch out of your topo as a way around that one.

J. Grouchy
2004-09-14, 05:11 PM
1. how do I make the top of a wall at an angle without having to attach it to a sloped ceiling/roof?

or...Edit wall profile and make it any shape you want in elevation.

raeburnmark
2004-09-14, 08:43 PM
Thank you sooo much, I will try as you suggest.

Thanks,

Mark

raeburnmark
2004-09-14, 08:45 PM
Thank you - is there a tutorial on this? I guess I missed a key procedure.

SCShell
2004-09-15, 03:01 PM
Hi there,

Regarding wall profiles, there is a tutorial; however, I can't remember which one! It is on the Autodesk Revit site, under 'Documentation'.
However, it is very easy to do:
Go to an elevation view of the wall you want to edit, or create a new section in front of the wall to view it in elevation.
Click on the wall and then click on the "edit profile" button on the bar above the drawing window.
Revit goes into it's sketch mode, just like floors. The drawing is grayed out and the wall shows with the purple profile edge. Just edit the wall profile's purple lines as you need, either sloping, stepped, curved, whatever. You can edit all profile edges, even the sides and bottom of the wall. This also works great for creating an opening or holes in a wall. Click 'Finish Sketch' and you're done!

Hope this helps
Steve Shell

raeburnmark
2004-09-15, 04:11 PM
Thank you Steve, I played with this a little - Revit is even more fun now!!!

raeburnmark
2004-09-15, 04:16 PM
Hi Pete,
I tried your solution for modeling a curb, however I'm still not sure how to attach it to the edge of my toposurface. The edge has a continuous gentle slope to it.

thanks,

Mark

sbrown
2004-09-15, 04:26 PM
curbs are a pain, there are some curb families I've created that attach to the top of a topo surface, however they are cumbersome. So its best to only model curbs where you need to do a rendering, other wise just use lines. Here are the families if you want to play with them.

sbrown
2004-09-15, 04:26 PM
I didn't upload all the variations, you can find those on RUGI if it is still up and running.

raeburnmark
2004-09-15, 04:55 PM
Thanks Scott, I'll try these out.

all the best,

Mark