PDA

View Full Version : how do you break a spline

ray salmon
2008-06-09, 08:15 PM
or do we delete the whole thing and redraw 2 splines.
r

Andre Carvalho
2008-06-09, 08:41 PM
I don't think there's a lot you can do other than adding a control point exactly where you want to break it, then copy the spline and paste it at the same place, then delete the control points you don't want...

I'm sure that's not exactly the answer you were looking for but as far as I know you can't break it other way.

Andre Carvalho

ray salmon
2008-06-09, 09:25 PM
ok,

haven't ventured into control points yet
I keep looking for the Autocad pline edits.

r

aaronrumple
2008-06-09, 09:50 PM
...then delete the control points you don't want...

That's won't get you where you want. The resulting shapes will never be quite the same as the original.

You're only option is to dump it out to AutoCAD or some other software that can deal with splines and then re-import. Revi't spline editing tools are next to useless.

CorelDraw is the master tool for spline editing.

AP23
2008-06-10, 07:25 AM
Revi't spline editing tools are next to useless.

Autodesk is affraid we might actually design organic shaped buildings instead of their targeted brick colonials.

tenghui2000
2008-06-10, 01:43 PM
why not rihno? It can edit any kinds of curves.

aaronrumple
2008-06-10, 02:44 PM
Autodesk is affraid we might actually design organic shaped buildings instead of their targeted brick colonials.

The correct entasis for a classical column is well beyond the modeling capability of Revit. Actually there are quite a few shapes in a classical column Revit can't model correctly. So I don't think they have nailed the brick colonial either.

dfriesen
2008-06-10, 04:14 PM
So I don't think they have nailed the brick colonial either.
They've really nailed modern minimalist, at least.

aaronrumple
2008-06-10, 09:54 PM
They've really nailed modern minimalist, at least.

Well - maybe Miesian. But then again you would have to also buy Revit Structure to get the metal deck running the right direction.

AP23
2008-06-11, 08:26 AM
Well - maybe Miesian. But then again you would have to also buy Revit Structure to get the metal deck running the right direction.

and once you have purchased Revit Structure, you need to keep in mind that size does matter.

patricks
2008-06-11, 12:49 PM
boy what an interesting turn this thread has taken...

twiceroadsfool
2008-06-11, 01:12 PM
boy what an interesting turn this thread has taken...

Seriously. Not to contribute to the downturn of this thread, but this is one of the reasons i find myself coming here less and less these days. While its still a vault for great teachers and wonderful tips/tricks/images/lessons, it seems more and more these days everyone uses someones question as a way to rehash the same old BS about how terrible Revit is.

Im glad i was learning here 2 years ago, and not just starting now. The tone of these boards would certainly shy me a way if i was a new user coming here to look for help.

iru69
2008-06-11, 02:44 PM
I don't understand what the problem is? The spline tool in Revit sucks. Personally, I found the thread an amusing way of dealing with the frustration of what should be an extremely basic CAD tool that is just about unusable.

What I'm getting really sick of is the few of you who seem to jump in at every opportunity to chastise the "tone" of the thread when the complaints and frustrations are entirely legitimate and being discussed in a rational manner.

Hey folks, it's a two-way street. If we have to hear about how brilliant Revit is, and about what geniuses the folks at the Factory are all the time, and how Revit has changed your career/love life, then you're going to hear about it when it stumbles. And it's been stumbling a lot lately.

Revit's good software considering what the alternatives are, but if you'd like, I can kick the living **** out of it going through feature by feature? I got news for you, horror of horrors... Revit is becoming average software.

Add enough features like the Steering Wheel, a half-baked and crippled rendering engine (and I could go on and on), along with not doing enough about video card issues that have been going on for years, a voodoo family editor, withholding Revit vertical features (and I could go on and on), and you start to get some pretty ticked off users. I think all things considered, the tone of this forum has held up amazingly well.

Is it possible that the so-called downward trend on this forum is following that of the software?

Seriously. Not to contribute to the downturn of this thread, but this is one of the reasons i find myself coming here less and less these days. While its still a vault for great teachers and wonderful tips/tricks/images/lessons, it seems more and more these days everyone uses someones question as a way to rehash the same old BS about how terrible Revit is.

Im glad i was learning here 2 years ago, and not just starting now. The tone of these boards would certainly shy me a way if i was a new user coming here to look for help.

twiceroadsfool
2008-06-11, 03:43 PM
Thats just it, your last post demonstrated that i dont think you got what my gripe was. I DONT think the software is perfect, and there are a LOT of tools that need a LOT of work. Im not a sales person for Autodesk, and i dont defend their honor like an insulted wife. I just think there is a right way and a wrong way to try invoking change about features we arent happy with.

You know what (in my VERY humble opinion) the most efficient way to achieve that is? CONSTRUCTIVE Criticism.

Making snide comments as to the architectural style that the program developers must be biased towards, and throwing in quips about verticals (beat a dead horse), in a thread that started about the lousy editability of SPLINES, is what i take issue with.

But vent as you will. If my last post went that far over your head, im sure this one will too.

iru69
2008-06-11, 05:32 PM
You're right, I don't see how your first post demonstrated any of what your second post did, so thanks for further articulating that. I agree in concept with a lot of what your saying (though, generally speaking, none of what's said on this forum is going to invoke anything), but where I disagree is the context.

This wasn't some really interesting thread that was ruined... this thread wasn't going anywhere (what more can you say about the spline tool?).

It seems to me that recently every time there's a little criticism, expressed frustration, etc., someone has to comment on how negative the forums have gotten... how everything's a "rant". I've been here a few years now - this "ranting" you're talking about here is nothing. Should we dig up some old threads of real "ranting"? Some of you guys are lowering the threshold of what constitutes acceptable criticism to something bordering on censorship.

But vent as you will. If my last post went that far over your head, im sure this one will too.

aaronrumple
2008-06-11, 05:57 PM
Making snide comments as to the architectural style that the program developers must be biased towards, and throwing in quips about verticals (beat a dead horse), in a thread that started about the lousy editability of SPLINES, is what i take issue with.

You need to be able to joke about these thing.

Maybe we should just limit the discussion to "You can't edit spline in any useful way in Revit - buy AutoCAD" and close the thread. Man - what a boring place AUGI would be.

I do think that pointing out that Revit can't even draw a classical column based on Palladio or Vitruvius because of the lack of spline editing tools and its inability to model some shapes is very valid criticism. I did offer constructive criticism - look at how CorelDraw has created spline editing tools. They are very intuitive, very powerful and accurate. Autodesk could learn quite a bit there.

Do I let it keep me from using Revit? Of course not. It does mean my job is more complex and required numerous additional software packages. And I really do think any good BIM package should be able to model the classical orders correctly. These are fundamental elements of western architecture - even if you want to work in a Meisian language.

When I started using Revit - it couldn't draw a circle or an ellipse. Circles were always two arcs glued together. Ellipses didn't exist. I was at the factory when I complained about that and they were very receptive to my explanation as to why the arc/arc circles really didn't cut it and how you really couldn't draw a decent toilet without at least a basic ellipse tool. I'm not saying I'm responsible for those tools being added in - but if we don't all speak out about the issues were having, we'll just get a new steering wheel each release.

So I can cut them slack on a feature not yet developed. But intentionally withholding a useful architectural feature to get another $5K out of me, or not fixing tools I once had but are now broken is certianly worthy of criticism. The first is just greed, the second is pure theft.

Most every project I work on has complex curves. I spend hours working out geometry using only curves and often have to do most of the work in AutoCAD. A a good spline tool would reduce that to minutes.

twiceroadsfool
2008-06-11, 06:25 PM
It seems to me that recently every time there's a little criticism, expressed frustration, etc., someone has to comment on how negative the forums have gotten... how everything's a "rant". I've been here a few years now - this "ranting" you're talking about here is nothing. Should we dig up some old threads of real "ranting"? Some of you guys are lowering the threshold of what constitutes acceptable criticism to something bordering on censorship.

Fair enough, but realize that for it to border no censorship, i would have to be someone in an authoritative position that could- in some way- censor. Im not, so its just my little ol opinion. You voice yours, i voice mine.

Aaron, i agree with you completely. It DOES have shortcomings, and we do have to kind of laugh at them. And in the way you stated: Going to the factory, and explaining WHY the arcs didnt suffice, so they can see WHY our point is validated, and start looking for a way to fix it.

I guess the difference is the way i read people's tones, versus what we would call "joking." There is us joking around that the spline tool is a mess, and commenting on how much extra work it makes us do in a day, etc... And then there is the useless rhetoric of "theyz trying to steal my moniez, zomg!!!!!11!!!1!1" and "this release is so bad autodesk should close up shop foreverz and give us all our money back, for sure!!!" :shrug:

Call me olf fashioned. I guess ill blast the sand out of my rear and just abandon the hope of explaining what i was thinking... Carry on with the bashfest, ill see myself out.

iru69
2008-06-11, 06:53 PM
I don't mean to throw around the "censorship" word lightly, but when people are repeatedly attacked for what they say, it creates an atmosphere of self-censorship. We shape behavior that way. Sometimes that's good (crying "fire" in a crowded movie house), and sometimes it has unintended consequences (this forum becomes just a bunch of yes men).

Fair enough, but realize that for it to border no censorship, i would have to be someone in an authoritative position that could- in some way- censor.

Steve_Stafford
2008-06-11, 07:23 PM
The intended purpose of this forum and all the others aside from Out There is for asking for help and getting it. Everything else is secondary.

twiceroadsfool
2008-06-11, 07:24 PM
I guess i just disagree about being "a yes man." To reiterate, its not that i DONT see faults in the software, it has its fair share, for SURE. I guess its in the minutia of which issues i think are genuinly faults, and in the specifics of how such people present their opinions of such faults.

There is soemthing to be said about confrontational conversation: Once you alienate your audience, you have very little chance of achieving your gola, because instead of desiring an engaging conversation with you, they are automatically thinking about how to be defensive to your agression, out of instinct. IMHO, thats true of how we present our issues to the Factory as well.

Its just reality perceived, i guess...

mruehr
2008-06-12, 12:58 AM
I am sorry to say i have to agree with Aron
the tenure of the Forum has not improved i my opinion
and having been on the receiving side of iru69s sarcasm and fire
this is not what i look for in this forum
when you ask a simple question like this you are looking for an answer a solution
if you don't have one say so if it is a shortcoming of the software say so
if you want to vent spleen punch a cushion
by now i know whats AP23s opinion is and what he wants its well documented here
show us some tricks some solutions some workarounds that's what I'm here for

and no I'm not a Revit Altarboy

OK that's enough of the serious stuff
Cheers

iru69
2008-06-12, 05:57 AM
I did a little forum search to find the thread you're talking about. That is what you're referring to as sarcasm and fire? :roll: I'd say I was rather lenient considering the b.s. you tried to unload there. And much like that thread, you again kind of missed the boat here.

While I was at it, I skimmed through a number of your posts, and you seem like a genuinely sincere fellow who's mostly here to help. Thanks for that. A little more punctuation in your posts would be nice.

I am sorry to say i have to agree with Aron
the tenure of the Forum has not improved i my opinion
and having been on the receiving side of iru69s sarcasm and fire
this is not what i look for in this forum

AP23
2008-06-12, 12:54 PM
by now i know whats AP23s opinion is and what he wants its well documented here
show us some tricks some solutions some workarounds that's what I'm here for

I posted a few months ago a workaround for the spline tool in the tips and tricks sections.
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=77421

Andre Carvalho
2008-06-12, 01:17 PM
I posted a few months ago a workaround for the spline tool in the tips and tricks sections.
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=77421

Thanks for bringing the thread back on track.

Andre Carvalho