PDA

View Full Version : Wall Placement

galetondesigns
2008-06-11, 01:09 PM
Good morning,
I'm an Archicad user who is trying out the trial version of Revit 2009. I have a question about placing interior walls. I'm trying to place a wall 12'-1" from the interior face of an exterior wall. It seems that even if I set the wall preference to be interior face it still measures from the center of the exterior wall. Is there a way that my measurement can start from the interior face of the wall instead of the centerline? Seems like I have to add 2 1/4" to all my measurements. Thanks for the help.

ws
2008-06-11, 01:36 PM
Well, normally I find that if you set the option to measure from wall faces then that is what it does.

However the auto-dimension does have a mind of its own and as you say can decide to align with objects other than the obvious ones.

If you click the little blue square on the dimension start/end points you can move to inside/outside/centre line or just click on and drag the little blue square until the end of the dimension line aligns with the desired object.

galetondesigns
2008-06-11, 02:51 PM
I'm sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear. I'm not trying to dimension the wall, I'm trying to draw the wall. I get a pink square at the inside corner of my wall and when I start to move my mouse to the right it starts to show my progress from the center of the exterior wall. When I type in 12'-1" it put's my wall at 11'-10 1/4". I'd like to be able to see my progress from the interior face of the wall so that when I type in 12'-1" my wall is drawn at 12'-1" from interior face to interior face. Is this possible? Thanks for taking the time to help.

eddy.lermytte
2008-06-11, 03:14 PM
System Family: Basic Wall > Element Properties > Constraints > Change Location Line

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-06-11, 03:53 PM
From the pull down menus,
Settings > Temporary Dimensions
You should be able to set the temp dims to face of wall. I believe the preference you were setting is on the options bar and that will only control the default 'location line' for the wall as it is placed.
Good luck with the trial version and feel free to come back with questions.

gwnelson
2008-06-11, 05:18 PM
When you add walls you have the ability to control the reference location:
- Center or Wall (core)
- Face of Core (structure)
- Face of Wall (finish)

The default wall insertion location is centerline. I think that's where you're being thrown off. And of course, no matter where you put a wall you can instantly change it's location by changing the set dimension.

gwnelson
2008-06-11, 05:19 PM
When you add walls you have the ability to control the reference location:
- Center of Wall (core)
- Face of Core (structure)
- Face of Wall (finish)

The default wall insertion location is centerline. I think that's where you're being thrown off. And of course, no matter where you put a wall you can instantly change it's location by changing the set dimension.

mabrey
2008-06-11, 06:35 PM
For an easier solution, simply start drawing from the interior face of the wall (you might have to tab through the layers), and the length will measure from wherever you pick...there is no need to draw from the center of the exterior wall, or change any settings.

-Jon

galetondesigns
2008-06-11, 10:45 PM
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help. It seems that Dimitri's solution is the one that I was looking for. It's going to be interesting to compare the two programs. Seems like they both have have their own advantages. Thanks again.