PDA

View Full Version : Non-horizontal eaves and hips

Alek Sutulov
2003-07-31, 02:34 PM
Can a roof with non-horizontal eaves and hips be created and, would roof tools work with such a roof.

Alek

PeterJ
2003-07-31, 03:13 PM
Go into an elevation that will show the sloping eaves....

Draw a reference plane perpendicular to the slope & name it.

Use Roof by extrusion and then set your work plane to the previously named plane and you will have a simple roof that points up or down.

If you need something more complex, look at using slope arrows or an in-place family. If the eaves remain straight then yes the hosted sweeps ought to work, if they don't then I have no idea.

beegee
2003-08-01, 07:06 AM
If you cut a pitched roof at an acute angle (in plan ), you can use a hosted sweep to attach the fascia, but not a gutter.
Gutters only want to run horizontally if they are hosted.

You can , of course, model a sweep and fiddle around with the joins at each end. Very time consuming :roll: to the point of not being worth the effort, unless its visible in 3D. Which is the catch 22 to most things in BIM.

PeterJ
2003-08-01, 07:27 AM
I realise it probably doesn't rain much in Brisbane Beegee, but gutters mostly just want to run horizontal, or maybe 1:200 tops.

Let me away with this I am leaving the office in two hours for a long weekend and a big wedding. I may even have time to consider the rugby and brush up on my latin some more.

P

beegee
2003-08-01, 07:52 AM
No, you can't get away that easily Peter J :D

Actually, it rains violently for short periods here ( like floods ), but has been ominiously dry for a long time.

We are playing the boks this weekend in Bris. Both teams are hungry for the win. There is likely to be some stick in this game , but , as my ancestors would say
nemo me impune lacessit
and
praemonitus pramunitus

Enjoy your weekend.

PeterJ
2003-08-01, 08:01 AM
I knew somehow there would be a prompt reply.

I'm guessing that pramunitus is latin for parametric which might explain your interest in Revit. The other bit seems to be something about tying one's laces and surely there was no better advice given to someone about to go out against the boks.

Their cricketers made short work of us yesterday.

P