PDA

View Full Version : How can I use a picture to aply as material?

alcx112
2008-06-14, 02:48 PM
Hi!
some days ago I took a photo of a texture I want to use in a project but I can't seem to find how to use it in Revit 2008
Can you tell me what do i have to do to "import" that picture so that I can use it to aply as a material?

thanks a lot!

ws
2008-06-14, 03:54 PM
Welcome alcx112,

I just duplicate a standard Revit material and then within the Render Appearance tab of that material (if it says Generic I usually use the 'Replace' button to assign a suitable material from the provided texture library).
Depending on the type of material assigned there will be different options offered, but somewhere there should be an 'image file' named with a button with dots on it adjacent.
Click on that and you can bring in your own image.

Scroll down in the dialogue to see if there are further options - it does depend on the nature of the material you are editing which is why it's handy to start off with a material of the same type as the one you are trying to bring in.

Hope that makes sense - I'm a beginner at this myself ;)

alcx112
2008-06-16, 07:49 PM
Thanks a lot
I could find that button!

alcx112
2008-06-16, 07:49 PM
Thanks a lot
I could find that button!

kathy71046
2008-10-18, 10:34 AM
How do I duplicate a render appearance entry....blue floral wallpaper really doesn't describe the steel sheeting image I attatched, but I can't figure out how else to get my bmp in as a usable texture.

ws
2008-10-18, 11:57 AM
I assume you are querying that the 'Render Appearance Based On:' entry remains 'Roofing Composition Shingle Gray' or whatever type of construction you have based your new material on rather than something more related to your own bitmap.

I don't know, but I have assumed that it doesn't really matter (?) because the Material name tells you what it is - the preset is just part of the makeup of the new material.

Each type of pre-set construction seems to offer a different set of parameters to tweak and the available parameters for each class of materials are in fact listed in the Help file under 'Render Appearance Properties' which is under 'Changing the Render Appearance of a Material' under 'Materials' under 'Customizing Project Settings'.

It doesn't seem you can do anything directly with the supplied pre-set files other than use them to control aspects of the display of your own bitmap file.

kathy71046
2008-10-20, 12:46 AM
Yes, based on material is what I meant.

The help files are a bit ambiguous, because some of the materials don't present the options that the help files are showing.

I think I sort of got it working, and based on more appropriate materials, although my steel sheet that I downloaded from the mfr is not playing nice with a curved roof.

On the other hand, the colours I select come out completely different in the render...anyone have any suggestions for render settings that don't totally change the colour scheme?