PDA

View Full Version : Review Submittals - Revisions

greg.gebert978266
2008-06-16, 08:24 PM
Is there a way to have revision information populate the revision schedule without having a cloud or a tag on that sheet? For example we send out a project for a 35% review submittal. We want the revision schedule to say 35% review submittal but there is no reason to cloud anything on the sheet. The only other way I can figure out to do it is to add a revision cloud on every sheet and have the revision not show a cloud or tag.

Steve_Stafford
2008-06-16, 09:57 PM
The Revision tool isn't intended to track document issuance, as much as we may want it to. They aren't really the same activity, though they usually go hand in hand.

Many people add additional parameters to a project and titleblock so that they can store "issue" data and report it in a similar "schedule" as a revision. You need a shared parameter for each piece of information that you want to display. Such as; Issue Number, Issue Date, Issue Description etc. You'd need a set for each "issue" made which could be built into the titleblock in advance or added as you go.

ejburrell67787
2008-06-17, 10:46 AM
Can't you add the revision and just select "none" under the show column in the revision settings for that revision? (maybe you still need a cloud to make a revision appear though?)

Also just saw in the help files:

Revisions Listed in the Revision Schedule

On sheets, the revision schedule includes information about revisions that are identified by revision clouds and tags. In this release, you can specify that the revision schedule is to include revision information that is not represented by revision clouds and tags in the sheet’s views. See Specifying the Revisions to Include in a Revision Schedule.

greg.gebert978266
2008-06-17, 11:56 AM
Can't you add the revision and just select "none" under the show column in the revision settings for that revision? (maybe you still need a cloud to make a revision appear though?)

Also just saw in the help files:

At first I was putting a revision cloud on the sheet and setting that revision not to show clouds and tags. I did a little more investigating and your right! On your sheet go to view properties and select "Revision on sheet". In there you can choose which revision or revisions that you want to show (see attached). I guess the only downfall is that this is an instance setting on each sheet, not a type. Autodesk should make another toggle in the revision process where you could set the revision to be either review or construction.

DaveP
2008-06-19, 08:29 PM
Love the new Revision Schedules, but I do wish they did one more thing.
Yes, you can right-click in the Project Browser and set the "Revisions on Sheet".
BUT, you can only do one at a time. I'd love to be able to select a whole bunch in the Project Browser and change all of the Revisions at once. That's what we do with our Sheet Index parameters (Issued for Schematics, 50% CD, Construction, etc)

greg.gebert978266
2008-06-19, 08:44 PM
Love the new Revision Schedules, but I do wish they did one more thing.
Yes, you can right-click in the Project Browser and set the "Revisions on Sheet".
BUT, you can only do one at a time. I'd love to be able to select a whole bunch in the Project Browser and change all of the Revisions at once. That's what we do with our Sheet Index parameters (Issued for Schematics, 50% CD, Construction, etc)

I have read that a lot of offices created parameters to make revisions read in the sheet index. It may be a long shot, but I am going to trust that Autodesk implements this concept in the next release. Compared to some of the other wish list items, this would be a simple no-brainer for them. Obviously the program automatically creates a parameter to do the revision schedules, Autodesk just has to open the parameter up for sheet index use. As complex as Revit seems, a database is much easier to program to share data than LISP is.

scatter529359
2008-07-09, 03:44 AM
I have read that a lot of offices created parameters to make revisions read in the sheet index.
can you explain that one for me please?

greg.gebert978266
2008-07-09, 12:34 PM
can you explain that one for me please?

I don't recall where I read that. There is no revision category when you create a project parameter. Maybe you could create a project parameter under the drawing sheets category. You would have to enter the revision information in manually. Then maybe you could create a schedule of some sort and line it up with you drawing index????? I don't know if this qualifies as a time saver. Knowing my luck as soon as I figure it out Autodesk will add this capability in the new release!

Scott Womack
2008-07-09, 05:12 PM
If you use the Revision by Project, we create a small part of a revision cloud on one sheet in the binding area completing the sketch, copy it to clip board, then Edit/Paste Aligned/Select Views by Name. The resultant dialg box will only show sheet views, and by holding down either the shift or control keys you can paste the partial cloud to all the selected sheets at one time. This is provided that the title blocks have not been moved around in the views. Works like a champ. Might also work if the Revisions are set to by Sheet.

greg.gebert978266
2008-07-09, 07:48 PM
If you use the Revision by Project, we create a small part of a revision cloud on one sheet in the binding area completing the sketch, copy it to clip board, then Edit/Paste Aligned/Select Views by Name. The resultant dialg box will only show sheet views, and by holding down either the shift or control keys you can paste the partial cloud to all the selected sheets at one time. This is provided that the title blocks have not been moved around in the views. Works like a champ. Might also work if the Revisions are set to by Sheet.

When you issue for construction do you just delete them on each sheet, or is there a quicker way?

Scott Womack
2008-07-09, 09:08 PM
Depending upon the project, We've left them, we've turned them off and left them, and once we've removed them. Most often, we use one shaped symbol for revisions/issuances prior to bidding, another shape for addendums, and a third shape for revisions, which are after bids have been received. Personally, not having to enter every sheet and remove them is the way to go. It is also good to have a "project" history of issuances/ revisions

greg.gebert978266
2008-07-10, 12:47 PM
You all make really great points. I am going to toss this around with some other people in the office and see what they think.