PDA

View Full Version : Same/Similar Levels - Annotation/Dims

Chad Smith
2008-06-17, 09:10 AM
Just want to get an idea of how users are handling multi-storey buildings that have either the same and/or very similar levels. I'm interested in how you go about dealing with annotating with text and dimensions.

The most eligant solution which comes to mind is simply grouping text and using the Exclude option where levels vary slightly, and copying up dimensions, which doesn't work to well in certain instances as the level has to be exactly the same otherwise the dim doesn't copy.

Has anyone come up with something easier?

Rick Houle
2008-06-17, 12:57 PM
Well, if your levels are "very similar" then, generally speaking, your annotation that varies would just not copy to the next level... this can work okay. It is not too difficult copying and pasting to same location. But FAIR WARNING,
when we did our tests here, we subltly changed some walls and wall types just to see what the dims would do, they didn't always react in a way we were satisfied with. They would sometimes jump to nearby items in the case of non-identical layouts.

Regardless, the end user was tickled that the option was there and he just made sure to look over each floor after the annotation was copied.

Chad Smith
2008-06-17, 10:54 PM
We don't find the copying up so bad, it's only when it comes to make a change to the model that is reflected across multiple levels, that it becomes a pain to maintain dimensions and notes.

Fortunately we only have 10 levels, but how are you big guys handling it, with your 30+ level towers?

Rick Houle
2008-06-18, 12:23 PM
Preferably, typical floors can be labeled as such... "Floors 3-8 Typ." and only shown once.
But i guess it's not always that perfect. With Revit here we are continually trying to rethink our level of detail and information.

Our buildings are not 30-stories tall yet, but we are dealing with some huge hi-density housing. Some users rely too heavily on groups and get all tied up in them. Limited grouping works well for most. And the best users know how to "chase a change" throughout the model... like we all had to do in cad.

I wish i had some fresh ideas but i just eagerly await more and more Group improvements.